So far as is possible, Queen's University Belfast wishes to provide its staff and students, and other members of the public, with information that is held by the University. The University is committed to promoting public understanding of its nature and activities via the systematic publication of relevant information, and will make every effort to provide, where practical and permissible, additional information to members of the public in cases where routinely published information does not provide them with the information they require.
Under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998 you are allowed to ask the University for "personal data" held about you as an individual.
If you wish to make an enquiry about data that relates to yourself, then please complete the form entitled Data Protection Act 1998 - Subject Access Request Form. Please note that a charge of £10 may be made for this service and that the University will normally have 40 days to respond to your request.
Request for information held by the University
Under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 you are allowed to ask the University to provide you with information held by the University.
Once you have decided the type of enquiry you are making, please complete the appropriate application form and return it to the Information Compliance Unit. Please provide full contact details so that we may contact you quickly should we need to clarify the nature of your enquiry.
The University already makes public large quantities of the information that it holds, and a description of all that we publish is available from the University's Information Compliance Unit (see below for contact details). Before submitting a request you are advised to check the University's Publication Scheme to determine whether the information you require is already available (if you make a request for information that does already appear in public then our only response will be to direct you to the relevant resource).
Request for information relating to yourself
If you wish to make an enquiry about data held by the University and which does not seem to be already available, then please complete the form entitled Freedom of Information Act 2000 - Access Request Form and return it to the address shown. We will then instigate a search for the information you need.
- Where the information you request is already routinely published by the University (or some other public body) then we will provide you with guidance on how to find this information, rather than the information itself.
- If you wish to obtain personal information relating to yourself then we may need to ask for a more detailed request from you (please see the Subject Access Request Form).
- There may be a fee for this service; if there is a fee, we will contact you as soon as possible to inform you of the amount.
- The University will usually have 20 working days (or 40 calendar days for Data Protection) to respond to your request.
- Please be careful to specify all the information you require; we will make all reasonable efforts to locate this information, though we may ask you to provide more detail if your original application does not allow us to identify exactly what you want. If you require advice on how to specify your needs, please contact the Information Compliance Unit.
- The Freedom of Information Act 2000 provides some limits to your access to information, though the University would consider withholding information only in cases where an exemption legitimately applies. If we cannot comply with your request for any reason, we will provide you with an explanation of the reason(s) for that refusal and details of how to appeal against that decision.
- We will not provide any statistical information analysed to any greater level than is normally provided within the University’s standard published information.
- If it transpires that the University does not hold the information you have requested then we will write to you to inform you of this. Where possible, we will suggest alternative ways in which you may be able to access the information you require.
- If some/all of the information you request is held by another Public Authority then we will provide what information we can and then consider transferring the request to the relevant Authority. Should we need to transfer your request, you will be informed immediately.
Information Compliance Unit
Queen's University Belfast
Tel: +44 (0)28 9097 2505