student making lunch and chatting with flatmates in Elm's Village

Study Abroad Programme

Accommodation at Queen's

If you are coming to study at Queen's, you will need to consider where you are going to live and what accommodation choices you will have. Residences are located within easy walking distance of the University in pleasant residential areas.

Queen's has over 2,000 rooms available in its University-managed accommodation.  All rooms are self-catered, which means that students share kitchen facilities and make their own meals.  Rooms are either ensuite (with a private shower room) or standard (with a washbasin but students shared bathroom facilities).  All rooms are single study bedrooms.  Some accommodation blocks are for male students only, some are for female students and others are mixed.

A team of Community Youth Workers and Residential Assistants work to build a student community across all the accommodation locations.  They organise a social programme which suits the tastes of all students to create opportunities to make friends and settle in quickly to university life.

a male student sitting at the desk in his room and working on his laptop
""I lived in university accommodation which was really fabulous. Student accommodation provided by the University is really good. I met friends from different countries and we shared our cultures, food and had lots of fun.""
Milind Joshi

Study Abroad and Erasmus students can apply for a single semester contract or a full year (38 week) contract.  The dates of these contracts are:

  • Full Year:  09 September 2017 - 09 June 2018
  • Semester 1:  09 September - 20 December 2017
  • Semester 2:  03 January - 09 June 2018

There is a limited number of rooms available for students attending for just one semester, therefore, you are advised to submit your application as early as possible. 

A room may only be reserved in university acommodation for a minimum of one full semester.  Any student who accepts an offer of University accommodation will be required to pay fees for the full semester, even if the duration of the study placement is less than one semester or if the student decides to leave their accommodation early. 

Accommodation for Married Students

University accommodation for married students, especially those with young families, is not always available.  The University has a limited number of self-contained flats for staff and postgraduate students, and demand for these can be high.  Information about the properties can be found on the accommodation website.

Finding a suitable place to live can be particularly challenging if you are an international student travelling with a family.  If you have a spouse or family, we advise that you arrive on your own in the first instance to arrange suitable accommodation before your spouse and family join you.  The University will do its best to provide new students with a single room in University accommodation, while they are looking for appropriate family accommodation.

Please contact the accommodation team before you arrive to discuss your requirements for accommodation. They will be able to offer help and support.  If it is not possible to place you in University-managed accommodation, then they will support you in finding alternative accommodation in the private rental sector close to the University

Elms Village Reception
78 Malone Road
Belfast  BT7 5BW
Telephone +44-28-9097 4525
Fax +44-28-9097 4524

Private Rented Accommodation

If it is necessary for you to seek accommodation in the private sector, we recommend that you arrive several weeks before your course starts in order to do this.

A list of estate agents willing to let rooms to students is available through the Students' Union Advice Centre. The Students' Union also has an accommodation noticeboard, located on the second floor, where you can find details of rooms currently available in the University area.

Previous section

Fees and Living Costs