Key Programme Information
Mathematics and Physics
The research strategies of the Centre for Plasma Physics involve identifying and responding to the major contemporary issues within ionised matter physics, exploiting synergy derived from a close integration of experimental, theoretical and simulation studies, with major activities in laser- and electrically-produced plasmas, ultra-fast atomic and molecular physics and the interaction of ionising radiation and plasmas with biological systems. There is also activity in transferring our research findings into the industrial and medical sectors.
The Centre currently comprises 14 academic staff, 9 research fellows and 30 PhD students, with research strengths in:
- Very hot dense plasmas, x-ray lasers, warm dense matter, particle acceleration, shock waves and free electron lasers.
- Molecular quantum dynamics: ultrafast processes, molecular dynamics and ion interactions
- Physics: life sciences interface ionising radiation and plasmas interactions, biological systems for advanced therapy, intervention and diagnostics
- Ultra-intense optical lasers
- Cool, non-thermal plasmas, initiation, energy transport, instabilities and plasma chemistry
A research degree offers you the opportunity to develop your research skills and prove yourself as a researcher. Queen's is committed to the enhancement of research training and teaching and offers postgraduate research opportunities across all fields of study. The following postgraduate research study routes for this subject area are:
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Master of Philosophy (MPhil)
The minimum academic requirement for admission to a research degree programme is normally an Upper Second Class Honours degree from a UK or ROI HE provider, or an equivalent qualification acceptable to the University. Further information can be obtained by contacting the School.
Mode of study/Duration
Registration is on a full-time or part-time basis, under the direction of a supervisory team appointed by the University. You will be expected to submit your thesis at the end of three years of full-time registration for PhD, or two years for MPhil/MD (or part-time equivalent).
English Language Requirements
International students (where English is not their first language), must be able to demonstrate their proficiency in English. Non-EEA nationals must also satisfy UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) immigration requirements for English language for visa purposes. Evidence of an IELTS* score of 6.0, with not less than 5.5 in any component (*taken within the last 2 years) is required. For more information on English Language requirements for EEA and non-EEA nationals see: go.qub.ac.uk/EnglishLanguageReqs
If you need to improve your English language skills before you enter this programme, our partner INTO Queen's University Belfast offers a range of English language courses. These intensive and flexible courses are designed to improve your English ability to entry to this programme. Please click the links below for more information:
- English for University Study - an intensive English language and study skills course for successful university study at degree level.
- Pre-sessional English - a short intensive academic English course for students starting a degree programme at Queen's University Belfast and who need to improve their English.
FEES AND FUNDING For fees, funding and further information see: go.qub.ac.uk/pgstudy
How To Apply
Applicants for Postgraduate programmes are strongly advised to carefully read the important information and follow the steps set out here before submitting their application via the Postgraduate Direct Applications Portal.
If you have queries on course content please contact the school representative below.
Professor Matthew Zepf
Centre for Plasma Physics School of Mathematics and Physics
Tel: 9097 3123
Queen's postgraduates reap exceptional benefits. Unique initiatives, such as Degree Plus and Researcher Plus bolster our commitment to employability, while innovative leadership and executive programmes alongside sterling integration with business experts helps our students gain key leadership positions both nationally and internationally.
- The Centre occupies a purpose-built 4,700m², state-of-the-art physics laboratory, the International Research Centre for Experimental Physics (IRCEP).
- This research laboratory houses a multi-Terawatt laser system and a suite of laser- and electrically-produced plasmas and ion beam systems, equipped with advanced diagnostic techniques and apparatus.
- The Centre's staff and students also work at major laser and accelerator facilities and with university collaborators worldwide. This work is complemented by advanced computer simulation hardware and software.
Last updated 03.11.15
Fees & Funding
There is a range of funding and scholarship options available to those considering study at Queen's.
For tuition fee information see //www.qub.ac.uk/Study/PostgraduateStudy/TuitionFees/
PhD Funded Studentships
We offer fully funded studentships to outstanding postgraduate researchers across our three faculties and five Doctoral Training Centres. Find PhD funding opportunities.
The Graduate School
Our dedicated hub for postgraduate students, providing state-of-the-art facilities for study, and high-quality training and development programmes within a diverse interdisciplinary community.
Honorary Graduands Winter 2017
14/12/2017 - Professor Dame Nancy Rothwell is receiving an Honorary Degree at Queen’s University Belfast today.
11/12/2017 - Queen’s University has launched a new MBA programme in response to the increasing demand from employers for MBA and business school graduates.
Share your feedback,
help us improve
We would really like to know what you think of our website, which we are continuing to improve.
Please help us by taking this quick 10 minute survey.
All respondents will be entered into a draw to win one of
10 £25 Amazon vouchers.
We would really like to know what you think of our website, which we are continuing to improve. Please help us by taking this quick 10 minute survey.
All respondents will be entered into a draw to win one of 10 £25 Amazon vouchers.