Northern Bridge is funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council. It brings together the cutting-edge expertise and exceptional resources of Queens University Belfast, Newcastle University, and Durham University and their Strategic Partners. We offer over fifty fully-funded studentships per year to outstanding postgraduate researchers across the full range of Arts and Humanities subjects, including Creative Practice disciplines.
Northern Bridge students benefit from supervision, training and development of the highest quality, tailored to the needs of twenty-first-century researchers.
How Will This Benefit You?
Northern Bridge offers over fifty fully-funded doctoral studentships to outstanding applicants across the full range of arts and humanities subjects, including Creative Practice disciplines.
We provide a comprehensive and attractive package of financial support over the duration of study, which incorporates:
- Payment of tuition fees;
- A maintenance award at the UK Research Councils’ national rate (currently £14,296 per annum);
- A research training support grant (RTSG) to fund the costs of study abroad, conference attendance and fieldwork;
- Financial support to participate in a Northern Bridge Autumn Conference, an annual Summer School and a Completion and Leadership Workshop, which include specialist training as well as events focussing on career development and enhancing your employability;
- Financial support for placements and the acquisition of the skills necessary for you to complete your PhD to the highest standards.
HOW TO APPLY
Step One: Make contact with relevant Supervisor/School
If you wish to apply for a Standard Award you must first explore with the relevant Subject Area Contact whether your area of research interest can be supervised and supported, and identify suitable supervisors.
Step Two: Complete an Online Postgraduate Application Form:
All applicants are required to apply through the online application form of the University at which you would like to study. You must include the code AH18 on your application form to indicate that you wish to be considered for a Northern Bridge award:
- On the DAP, please tick ‘I will apply separately to an external body’ then enter AH18 under ‘To which body do you intend to apply?’
The deadline for postgraduate applications to the Northern Bridge studentship competition is 5:00pm, Wednesday 10 January 2018.
Applications received after this date will not be considered for nomination.
If you are nominated by your subject area to proceed to the second stage of the competition, you will work with your Subject Area Contact and supervisor(s) to complete a Northern Bridge Nomination Form – note this form is only made available to those applicants selected for nomination.
The deadline for receipt of Nomination Forms is 5:00pm, Wednesday 14 February 2018.
The results of the competition will be announced on Friday 23 March 2018.
Before applying please ensure you read the Applicant Guidance Notes