BECOME A LLOYD'S SCHOLAR AT QUEEN'S
Get up to £16,500 to help with study, living costs and career development*
Queen’s University Belfast is delighted to be partnering with Lloyds Banking Group to offer up to 15 undergraduates the opportunity to become a Lloyds Scholar. This exciting opportunity for students from lower income households (under £25,000) is the first of its kind in Northern Ireland.
The programme is designed to reward outstanding academic performance; provide mentoring and internship opportunities; develop employability skills; and encourage involvement within the local community.
Support Package for Scholars
If you are successful in becoming a Lloyd's Scholar your package of support will include:
- Learn valuable skills and boost your employability through lectures, workshops, and events run by the Lloyd's Banking Group
- Gain work experience with up to two paid summer internships
- An annual bursary of £1,000 to help with living costs and study materials
- Receive cash awards for good grades each year
- Benefit from advice and support from a dedicated mentor
- Undertake volunteering opportunities
- End of course excellence awards for top scholars when you graduate
- The opportunity to join the Lloyd's Graduate Leadership Programme if you wish
Your Commitment as a Lloyd's Scholar
In return for the complete financial and support package outlined above, Lloyd's ask that Scholars:
- Complete 100 hours of volunteering in the community each year;
- Champion the programme to future applicants and the wider community; and
- Make the most out of the programme. It is a unique opportunity to develop your skills for the future!
Am I eligible?
You can apply for the Lloyd's Scholars Programme if you have:
- A residual household income of under £25,000.
- A confirmed offer from Queen’s University Belfast and have selected us as your first choice.
Please note: Students who normally live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland must have a household income under £25,000 as defined by the Student Loans Company. Lloyd's will require proof of income, therefore please ensure that you have applied to the Student Loan Company and that you have selected “Consent to Share”. If Queen’s University Belfast are not able to access this information to verify your household income, then you will not be eligible for the programme.
Candidates must also:
- Be a full time UK student or an EU student currently residing in the UK;
- Be on a three or four-year undergraduate degree course;
- Start the first year of their degree in October 2017; and
- Have applied through the University and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS).
How do I apply?
Applications opened on Wednesday 3 May 2017 and are due to close on Friday 9 June 2017. Places at assessment centres are limited and filled on a first come, first serve basis. It is advisable to apply as soon as possible to be in with your chance of being a part of this unique, award-winning programme.
Applications are now closed.
I’m not interested in banking, does that matter?
Not at all. The great thing about this programme is that you don’t have to be interested in working for a bank to become a Lloyd's Scholar. The programme is open to most degree pathways.
Lloyd's will support you throughout your degree, whatever that may be and whatever career path you decide on. So don’t let the idea of banking put you off.
You can find out more information by visiting the Lloyd's Scholars Website
*Terms and conditions apply