Mankind faces great challenges in providing sufficient supplies of renewable energy, in protecting our environment, and in developing benign processes for the chemical and pharmaceutical industries. These urgent problems can only be solved by applying novel technology developed from a solid foundation of fundamental knowledge which is itself created through a multidisciplinary yet focussed approach. Catalysis is an essential enabling technology because it holds the key to solving many of these problems and through CASTech a number of important challenges will be addressed.
CASTech will involve the following five Grand Challenges:
- Understanding the properties and characteristics of multiphase interfaces
- advanced engineering through fundamental understanding of reactors and reactions.
- Catalytic processing of complex bio-feedstocks.
- Capturing and storing renewable energy.
- Re-engineering catalyst manufacture to be pollution free.
- Selective transformations of molecules in the gas phase.