Originality Checking with TurnitinUK
This is an online service which does not require any additional software to be installed on your PC. It contains a database of 45 billion + websites, online articles (including archived material) and student work against which draft and/or final student assignments may be compared. Similarities are matched and academic judgement must then be used to interpret whether the matches in the similarity report are appropriate (properly quoted and cited, or an established term) or inappropriate (inadequately paraphased not adequately cited).
The Centre for Educational Development provides training and advice in the following areas:
- Providing staff with a Turnitin account and instructions for getting started with the Turnitin software.
- Central point of contact for receiving information from, giving feedback to and reporting problems to iParadigms - the Turnitin software providers.
- “Helpdesk” service on Turnitin software for Queen’s staff.
Advice to Schools /Individuals
- Advice on how to use the software to help educate students about plagiarism/originality.
- Consultancy on how to systematically and equitably use the service to check originality without infringing student rights.
- Face-to-face workshops for Staff on Using the Turnitin Originality Checking Software are available. View details and dates of the workshops during 2014/2015
Video Resources for Staff
Video Tutorials for Postgraduate Research Supervisors
Creating an Opportunity to submit a near final chapter draft (which will not be compared with the early draft)
Videos for Lecturers to use with students on Undergraduate and Postgraduate Taught Courses
Signing in to the TurnitinUk Service (wmv, 4.6MB)
Uploading an Assignment (wmv, 7.4MB)
Enrolling in a New Class (wmv, 680KB)
Video Resources for Students
Video Tutorials for Postgraduate Research Students
Video Tutorials for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Taught Students
Turnitin Handouts for Staff
- Setting up for your PGR Student: one submission followed by resubmission
- PGR Student Introduction to the Turnitin Originality Checking Service (PPT 686KB)
- Viewing the Originality Report (PDF, 434KB)
- Setting up an Assignment: view originality report, submit many times (PDF, 390KB)
- Setting up an Assignment: view originality report, one submission followed by resubmission (PDF, 452KB)
- Setting up an Assignment: One submission do not see originality report (PDF, 453KB)
- Turnitin UG and PGT Student Presentation (PPT, 655KB)
Staff who wish to register with the TurnitinUK service please contact Gill Kelly on extension 1569 or by email to email@example.com, in order to receive a user link and step by step set up instructions.
n.b. You are currently advised to use Firefox when viewing large originality reports within Turnitin (Feb 2012)