** We hope to originate loans for the 2013-14 year from early June 2013 onwards **
We can only proceed with your application if you have received an unconditional offer from Queen’s. Once we have reviewed your Institutional Student Information Report (ISIR), confirmed your loan eligibility and the amount and type of loan you wish to borrow; our FLA2 form will guide you through the ‘next steps’.
You will be guided to the studentloans.gov website to:
- sign your Master Promissory Note(s)
- complete the PLUS Request Process (if you wish to apply for a PLUS Loan)
- complete Entrance Counselling
Please take screenshots during this process to forward to us to meet the requirements set out below
The above are required by the US Department of Education and your loans will not be approved until you have completed them.
Send us the Completed Documents
You should then email us to confirm that you have completed the requirements on the studentloans.gov website.
You must attach to your email:
- Your pdf Master Promissory Note(s). You should have one for your Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan and another for your Direct PLUS Loan.
- If you are applying for a PLUS Loan, evidence that your credit check was approved when you completed the PLUS Request Process. You can either attach the confirmation email that you should receive within 24 hours or a screenshot.
- Evidence that you have completed the Entrance Counselling. You can either attach the pdf completion certificate or a screenshot.
Please view our check list to make sure you have completed everything. We will then originate your loan (i.e. enter your requested loan amounts) on the US Department of Education online loan system.
If you are a new student at Queen's we will also send you a letter by courier to confirm your loan amounts. You can use this letter as evidence of funding if requested by the UK Border Agency. The UK Border Agency will require a hard copy letter with an original signature. (They will not accept emails or pdfs.)
There is an origination fee of 1.051% on Stafford Loans and 4.204% on Plus Loans applied by the US Department of Education. Once your loans have been originated we will then confirm to you the net loan amounts.