The Control of Asbestos Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2007 places a duty on employers to manage asbestos in non-domestic premises. A high level summary of requirements is as follows:
- Ascertain whether there is any asbestos on the premises and, if so, the quantity and condition
- Presume materials contain asbestos, unless there is strong evidence to the contrary
- Collate and maintain an up-to-date register of all Asbestos Containing Materials (ACMs)
- Assess the risk of all ACMs
- Prepare and implement an asbestos management plan to manage the risk from the material
- Continually review the plan
- Provide information on ACMs to anyone who may work on it or disturb it
One of the key requirements under the Regulation is to ‘prevent work on premises that may disturb the fabric of the building until measures to control the risk have been implemented’.
The University has an Asbestos Management System in place to manage, control and minimise the risk of exposure to ACMs. This is to ensure that:
- Information on the location and condition of ACMs is passed to people who may disturb them during work activities
- Any material known or presumed to contain asbestos is kept in a good state of repair
- The condition of ACMs or presumed ACMs are monitored
An Asbestos Survey has been undertaken of the entire University estate which has identified all potential Asbestos Containing Materials.