Conferences Run on Behalf of Outside Bodies
- In general conference income and expenditure is not included in the University's Statement of Comprehensive Income.
- Any surplus may have to be transferred to the outside body.
- Any deficit will be covered by the host Faculty or Directorate.
- The balance on the Conference Creditor Account 4127 is reflected in Balance Sheet only.
- Payment is normally made online when registering or invoices may be issued by the conference organiser (not through the University's Debtor System).
- Income may be credited to the Conference Creditor Account 4127.
- Expenses are debited to the Conference Creditor Account 4127.
Conferences Run by the University
- Conference income and expenditure is reflected in the University's accounts.
- Income is credited to 5XXX account in departments' A projects (with sub analysis), or, where the conference is material (Income £15k - £20k) a seaperate T project is opened
- Expenditure is debited to 6XXX account with sub analysis.
- Payment is normally made online when registering, or in exceptional circumstances only, invoices may be issued through the University's Debtor System.
- Online registration and payment is required for larger conferences.
- Recurring conferences may be operated through a separate T Project.
VAT and Conferences
- Educational conferences are exempt for VAT purposes.
- Charges for accommodation and catering supplied by the University in connection with educational conferences will generally also be exempt. A VAT exemption certificate (available from the VAT section) should be completed by the conference organiser.
- VAT should be charged on non-educational conference fees and these should be operated through a separate T project.