The Research Support Office provides a professional support service to researchers at Queen’s with a wide range of finance-focused activities involved with externally funded research grants. The Research Support Office is part of the Finance Directorate and is located in the Administration Building (Level 2), Main Site.
Contacting the Research Support Office
If you wish to contact the Research Support Office please click here
The Service Provided
The service provided covers both pre-award and post-award activities with a specific focus on finance. The pre-award support service includes:
- Support and advice with preparing grant applications - focusing on the application process,
eligibility criteria and cost/funding rules
- Advice and assistance with costing and pricing research proposals
- University approval of grant applications
- Submission of grant applications using on-line funder submission systems
On receipt of a research grant the Research Support Office provides post-award support including:
- Setting project funds and project budgets
- Establishment of appropriate financial management, accounting and reporting structures
- Advice and support with financial management throughout the duration of a grant
- Preparation of claims and financial reports to research funders
- Issuing of invoices for research funding
- Provision of management information on research grants
- Audit Liaison
The Research Support Office has 4 Research Support Teams. Each team provides dedicated advice and support to researchers in a defined portfolio of Schools (click here to find out which team supports research in your School).
The Research Support Teams
Each Research Support Team is managed by a Research Support Officer who acts as the principal contact between colleagues in the Schools for which they are responsible and the Research Support Office.
Other Support We Provide
The Research Support Office is also responsible for a number of other research-related activities such as the maintenance of research systems (pFACT, Research Grants Database), reporting on research activity and the preparation of financial information for a number of external returns including the Research Excellence Framework.
The Research and Enterprise Directorate
The Research Support Office works closely with staff in the Research and Enterprise Directorate, whose 8 specialised teams support researchers to access funding and form new collaborations, manage governance procedures, support and develop research information systems and manage the contracting process.
The Research and Enterprise Directorate also works with University colleagues, students, industry and the community to provide support from the conception of an idea or technology through to a range of knowledge exchange and commercialisation outcomes.
Further information on the Research and Enterprise Directorate can be found by clicking here