The following information has been produced for staff to help them understand the importance of equality screening.
On this page you can access:
- Frequently asked questions
- Guidance Notes
- Flow Chart
- Relevant documentation you need to complete and return
- Links to external information
- Contact details of staff who can assist you in the process
What is equality screening?
The purpose of equality screening is to identify those policies that are likely to have an impact on equality of opportunity and/or good relations.
It is one of the key tools to enable public authorities like Queen’s to fulfil their statutory obligations and mainstream the Section 75 equality and good relations duties into policy development and service delivery. It provides an opportunity to improve decision-making and support ‘evidence based’ policy making.
Why do it?
Screening will help improve our service provision through a systematic review of all services, policies, procedures, practices and/or decisions.
It will also provide tangible evidence as to how Queen’s has given ‘due regard’ to the promotion of equality of opportunity and ‘regard’ to the desirability of promoting good relations in the initial stage of policy development.
When should I do it?
It should be completed at the earliest opportunity in the policy development process. It is more useful if it is introduced at an early stage when developing or reviewing a policy, or during successive stages of implementation (e.g. strategic review, options paper).
To undertake screening after policy proposals have been developed may be inefficient in terms of time and may be ineffective if policy makers are reticent to make changes at a later stage. It may also duplicate policy development processes.
Who should do it?
The responsibilty to carry out equality screening rests with the policy leads and/or authors. It is not the responsibilty of the Diversity and Inclusion Unit to carry out this task.
However, the Diversity and Inclusion Unit will actively assist any policy lead/author with the equality screening process.
To help you get started, we have provided you with some useful information.
- Please click here to access our Guidance Notes. These will assist you through the process. Please read the document. It is written in plain english and is quite straightforward to follow.
- You can also access some really helpful guidance from the Equality Commission by clicking here, or by accessing Goods Relations Indicators data produced by NISRA.
- Screening Flowchart.
- Please click here to access the Screening Form (PDF). You need to complete this form and return it to the Diversity and Inclusion Unit.
- Section 75 Screening Form WORD. This version of the Screening Form can be edited.
- Please click here to access a table of policies currently screened. The completed Screening Forms for each of the screened policies will give you some understanding of the level of information required.
If you require advice on the screening process, please contact Fiona O'Connell.
Diversity and Inclusion Unit
Tel: 02890 971046
If you require any equality monitoring data to assist you with completing the Screening Form, please contact Leeann Matchett.
Diversity and Inclusion Unit
Tel: 02890 973039