Infectious Agents & GMO's
If you are proposing to work with Biological Materials, Infectious Agents or Genetically Modified Organisms, then you must consult the guidance below and comply with any applicable requirements.
Q. What exactly are Biological Materials, Infectious Agents or Genticially Modified Organisms?
For a brief explanation of these terms click HERE .
If you are proposing to work with Biological Materials, Infectious Agents or Genetically Modified Organisms you must:
1) Consult your supervisor eg. Project Supervisor, Principal Investigator (PI), Centre Director (CD) or Head of School (HoS);
2) Determinine the ACDP Hazard Group of the material with which you intend to work;
(ACDP - Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens, click HERE for the Approved List of Biological Agents [pdf file]
and HERE for the Schedule 5 list of agents restricted by the Anti-Terrorism, Crime and Security Act [ ATCS] )
3) Follow the procedure outlined in the attached FLOWCHART;
4) Familiarise yourself with the relevant Policy, Guidance and Legislation;
5) If you wish to transport any Biological Materials etc you must comply with International Shipping Regulations, click HERE for guidance.