The Occupational Health and Safety Service will, with the co-operation of Heads of School and Directors of the Support Directorates, establish and maintain a range of performance indicators that will be considered by the appropriate Health and Safety Committees and Management meetings. These may include, but not be limited to, the following:-
- accident statistics (including near-misses);
- annual numbers, cost and general details of insurance claims;
- numbers of workplace inspections conducted by departments and outstanding corrective actions;
- results of audits and the status of improvement plans;
- health and safety training performance;
- enforcement actions.
The Health and Safety Management Group will, with the co-operation of the relevant Heads of School and Directors ensure that a programme of safety audits is conducted by the Occupational Health and Safety Service on a regular basis. Safety audits should assess whether the Health and Safety Policy and the procedures have been implemented, and are adequate and effective in protecting the safety and health of employees and others to whom a duty is owed, and in preventing incidents.
The Occupational Health and Safety Service must ensure that issues that arise from such audits are recorded and management informed. The Director of Safety will review audit reports and ensure compliance with recommended actions.
The Health and Safety Mangement Group will review health and safety performance on an annual basis in order to evaluate:
- progress made against planned objectives and the effectiveness of follow-up actions from earlier reviews;
- the effectiveness of the Health and Safety Policy and its ability to meet the overall needs of the organisation;
- the overall strategy of the Health and Safety Policy to ensure that it meets planned objectives.
Health and Safty Development Plan
Following the review, the Health and Safety Management Group will produce a Health and Safety Development Plan for the continuous improvement and development of Health and Safety within the University. Heads of School/Directors etc., will produce a Health and Safety Development Plan for the improvement and development of Health and Safety within the School/Directorate.
Health and Safety Policy Review
The Health and Safety Policy will be reviewed at least annually by the Health and Safety Management Group in order to ensure that it continues to meet the needs of the University and to recommend any changes considered necessary.