QUEEN’S IS COMMITTED TO IMPROVING ITS ENVIRONMENTAL PERFORMANCE AND IS WORKING TOWARDS ACHIEVING A 21% REDUCTION IN CARBON EMISSIONS BY 2020’
The People and Culture Directorate is therefore committed to reducing its carbon footprint as much as possible. We were awarded a Gold Award for our efforts through the Green Impact Scheme in 2014 and we have retained this award each year since. We aim to continue to maintain these standards.
We have developed systems to eliminate the requirement for large volumes of paper, which helps contribute to our sustainability issues. For example, we actively encourage all our job applications to come through our paperless online process and, in 2017, we introduced a paperless online Document Management system in HR, removing the need for paper-based personal staff files.
- Dispose of food waste in the designated bin in the kitchen.
- Place paper waste in the confidential bins throughout the Department.
- Plastic, can and glass bins are positioned outside the kitchen.
- Leave cardboard in the photocopy room for collection.
- Recycle books at the McClay library, on the ‘book swap’ shelves.
- A used battery collection bin is available on Level 2 of the Administration Building.
- Email instead of print! If you need to print, then make sure it’s double sided and only use colour when essential.
- Use tap water for meetings rather than bottled water. Shared filtered water coolers are available on Level 2 and on Level 4.
- Bring your own mug to a meeting rather than use disposable cups.
- All internal catering is locally sourced and FairTrade.
- Heating or ventilation issues should be reported on Planon. Emma, Deborah, Erin and Matt all have access.
- Dress appropriately for the weather, sometimes Monday’s can be cold in the office.
- Switch off lights, printers, chargers etc if you are last to leave a room.
- Switch off your PC monitor, if you are going to a meeting.