Skip to main content

Childcare and Schooling

If you are bringing family with you, we would recommend that you organise childcare or schooling before you arrive in the UK as it can be very difficult to find a place on short notice.

It is your responsibility as the parent to find a crèche or school for your child/children. Unfortunately, this is not something that the University can arrange on your behalf. However, the University does operate a quality childcare service, including a crèche, out of school club and summer club that allows you to pursue your employment.


    If you want to place your children in the Queen’s crèche, you should contact the crèche as far in advance of your arrival as possible. The crèche provides age appropriate care in three different categories: Nursery (0-12 months), Tots and Toddlers (1-3 years) and Pre-school (3-4 years). You can also choose to use other crèche facilities. In either case, you will have to pay a monthly charge to the crèche. The UK government operate a Tax-Free Childcare scheme which you may be able to avail of as a fee payment method. Please note: You will not be eligible if you’re from outside the EEA and your UK residence card says you cannot access public funds.


    Education in the UK is compulsory for all children between 5 and 16 years of age and is normally free of charge. Primary education begins the year a child turns 5 until they are 11. Children then move to secondary school where they stay until they reach 16-18 years of age. These are normally state funded schools which are free to all children up to the age of 16. You could choose to send your child to an independent school (private/public school), but would then pay for their education. When you have found a school you would like your child to attend, you should make an appointment with the Head Teacher to discuss whether they have places available.

    Upon starting school, you will be expected to make sure that your child has basic stationery (pencil, ruler, etc.), but the cost of more specialised equipment and books are covered by the school. You will be expected to pay for your child’s school uniform and items of sportswear. Charges may also occur for school dinners (unless you are providing a packed lunch), as well as music lessons and board/lodging on any school trips.

    You can search schools and apply for a school place through the Education Authority and find more information on the school system through the NI Direct website. Please note that you cannot register your children for enrolment until you arrive in the UK.


    If your child has a statement of special educational needs, they will usually go to an ordinary school, play group or nursery. However, you can also ask for them to go to a special school.