Network Systems Provision
The University’s network system currently consists of the following major building blocks:
- a core network consisting of a high performance switch with a live backup core switch at a separate location;
- resilient high performance name and address resolution services;
- a resilient intermediate access network fanning out via fibre optic links to access switches, which in turn serve local campuses;
- an edge network consisting of high performance Ethernet LANS serving approximately 8,000 computers;
- a resilient central server farm network;
- a 1 Gigabit Internet connection provided by UKERNA;
- an Inter-network router plus security services at the front door of the network;
- a remote access service for staff utilising dial-back modem technology;
- an array of sophisticated network management systems.
The primary aim of the network services is to support the business applications of the University which currently run over TCP/IP and IPX protocols.