The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is owned by Cambridge ESOL, the British Council and IDP Australia. IELTS is designed to assess the language ability of candidates who want to work or study in countries where English is the primary language of communication. Queen's University is an IELTS Centre, based in the Language Centre (contact details below).
IELTS Office (QUB) on +44 (0) 2890 976178 or email us at email@example.com.
Language Centre, McClay Library, Queen’s University Belfast, BT7 1LP (A on the MAP at http://www.qub.ac.uk/home/TheUniversity/Location/Maps/Libraries/)
IELTS Modules: IELTS is available in two modules, Academic or General Training. You must decide prior to applying which module is best for you as we cannot advise you on which module you should take. Please note that the General Training Module is not offered on all IELTS test dates. Candidates are tested in four skill areas: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking English.
- The Academic module is for people who want to study an undergraduate or postgraduate degree course or who wish to register with a professional body.
- The General Training module focuses on basic survival skills in a broader social and educational setting. General Training is suitable if you are joining a training programme or doing work experience in English speaking countries, but is not designed for degree level. This module is also suitable for those wishing to emigrate to Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the UK.
IELTS is a pen and paper test. Computer based IELTS tests are not currently available in the UK.
IELTS [International English Language Testing System] main website: http://www.ielts.org/
|Exam Date||Modules Offered||Deadline for Entry*||Results Available|
|Thursday 29 January||Academic & General||8 January||11 February|
|Saturday 28 February||Academic & General||7 February||13 March|
|Saturday 14 March||Academic & General||21 March||27 March|
|Saturday 18 April||Academic & General||28 March||1 May|
|Saturday 16 May||Academic||25 April||29 May|
|Saturday 13 June||Academic & General||23 May||26 June|
|Saturday 27 June||Academic & General||6 June||10 July|
|Thursday 23 July||Academic & General||2 July||5 August|
|Saturday 1 August||Academic & General||11 July||14 August|
|Saturday 29 August||Academic & General||8 August||11 September|
|Saturday 26 September||Academic & General||5 September||9 October|
|Saturday 24 October||Academic & General||3 October||6 November|
|Saturday 14 November||Academic||24 October||27 November|
|Saturday 5 December||Academic & General||14 November||18 December|
* Please note enrolment is on a first-come first-served basis
To download a PDF version of the dates click here
Access the online registration system: https://ielts.britishcouncil.org/queensbelfast
Please complete the online application (fully and correctly). Please note that you must then send a copy of your ID document (preferably via Email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
Pay using a credit or debit card via https://knock.qub.ac.uk/ecommerce/ielts/ The IELTS test fee is £144.00 for 2015. Please contact us if you are unable to pay by this method.
Candidates who elect to cancel their registration more than five weeks prior to the test date will receive a refund, less a £10 administration charge.
Candidates who elect to cancel their registration within the five-week period prior to the test date will receive no refund.
Test Date Transfer Policy
Candidates may transfer test dates if they notify the test centre more than five weeks prior to the elected test date. The new test date must be within the next 3-month period. If a candidate wishes to transfer to a test date more than 3 months away they should apply for a refund and re-apply for the test.
Candidates who wish to transfer test dates within the five week period prior to the test date will be treated as a cancellation and receive no refund.
Please ask for a Request for Transfer Form - A £10 administration charge is applicable.
All candidates must bring their passport with them to the test centre on the day of their exam.
Candidates must bring with them pencils, pens, a pencil sharpener and an eraser. The only items permitted in the exam room are pens, pencils, erasers and passports. We do not supply pencils/sharpeners or rubbers so please ensure you bring your own.
All other belongings such as coats, bags, pencil cases, glasses cases, mobile phones etc. must be left in another locked room designated by the supervisor. This room will remain locked for the duration of the exam. We cannot accept responsibility for any items lost or stolen on the exam day and we would advise candidates not to bring mobile telephones, laptops, expensive clothing to the examination venue.
Any candidate, who retains their phone/pager within their possession, will be disqualified.
Candidates may not wear coats during the examination. We would advise you to dress appropriately.
From the outset of the examination you will be under examination conditions and you will not be permitted to leave your seat or speak to other candidates until the end of the Writing Module.
Cheating of any kind will not be permitted. This means talking, copying, using prepared notes or continuing to write after you have been asked to stop. Candidates who are caught cheating will not be allowed to sit the remaining tests and will not receive a Test Report Form
The results are issued 13 days after the test. The results are sent to you by post and alternatively you can collect results on the day they are released. Collection in person must be arranged with the IELTS office in advance. You can access your results on the 13th day following the test via https://ielts.britishcouncil.org/CheckResults.aspx
No results are given over the phone.
Re-mark of an IELTS result
- If an IELTS candidate wishes to have any part of their IELTS score remarked, the following procedure must be followed:
- email email@example.com for an Enquiry on Result application form. Please 1) put Enquiry on Result application form into the Subject Line and 2) make it clear which sections of the test you wish to have remarked.
- Centre details can be found at the top of your Test Report Form eg. Centre number and candidate number.
- Return the form with your original IELTS certificate and payment of £60.00 to the Ielts Administrator, the Language Centre, Queen’s University Belfast, BT7 1LP.
- Payment by cheque and postal orders must be made payable to ‘The Queen’s University of Belfast’. You can also pay by cash in person (do not send cash through the post). Language Centre, McClay Library, Queen’s University Belfast, BT7 1LP.
- When the centre receives the form and payment, your exam material will be sent to the British Council for remarking by a Senior Examiner. The British Council will notify the IELTS centre of the Senior Examiner’s decision within 6-8 weeks after receiving the material.
- A letter will be posted to you advising you of the decision from the British Council.
What if a change is made to my results? – You will be sent a new Test Report Form showing the changes made. Within approximately 10 working days, a cheque will be sent to you with a full refund of the £60.00 enquiry fee.
What if there is no change to my results? – The Senior Examiner’s decision is final and no refund of the enquiry fee will be made. Your original Test Report
Form will remain valid.