Frequently Asked Questions
Announcements l Assessment l Assignment l Browsers l Discussion Forum l General l Logging In/Out l Manual | Module Description l Resources l Shared Student Resources Sites l Staff Involved l Student Images l Student Tracking l Surveys l Tutorials | Usernames l Wikis
- Staff: Should I be posting an announcement for students or emailing students? You can do either, however if it is important information for students, it is recommended that you do both! Students tend to look at their emails quicker than login to see their module announcements!
- Staff: I scheduled an assesssment for my students, but it did not appear for them. Why? The students will not be able to see the assessment until the exact time you have scheduled it for.
- Student: Can I attempt my assessment more than once? It depends on how your lecturer has set up the assessment. You may only have one attempt or you may have multiple attempts. Your lecturer should let you know this.
- Student: Why can I not upload my assignment? The file size of your assignment may be too large. 100MB is the maximum file size which can be uploaded at any one time. To solve this:
- If you are trying to upload a PowerPoint presentation, visit the Microsoft Office website for some handy hints on how to reduce your PowerPoint file size.
- For other kinds of documents, if they are larger than a standard essay, we recommend that you consider putting your work in a ZIP file (compressed archive) before uploading it. In Windows, to create a ZIP file, select one or more documents, then right-click, select Send To and then select Compressed (zipped) folder. Note: The Chrome web browser shows an upload progress percentage in the lower-left corner which can be helpful for files in the tens of megabytes. If your file has not uploaded after 10 minutes, it will not succeed. If you have any difficulty uploading your work, please contact email@example.com
- Student: How do I submit assignments? Please read this 3 page PDF: How to use the Assignment Tool
- Student: Can I upload multiple files for my assignment? Yes, if required, you can upload more than one file, but remember each file size must be less than 100MB.
- Staff: Can assignments be anonymous? Assignments can be either Named or Anonymous. In Anonymous Assignments, staff cannot see student names or numbers. However,
there's an exception for Assignment Administrators - they can always see the full student details. Assignment anonymous codes are in the format Axxxx. Please note that
these codes are created per assignment. So student A6789 in one assignment is not the same as student A6789 in another assignment, even if it's in the same module.
- Staff: Can I give feedback on anonymous assignments? Yes, you can give feedback for individual anonymous assignments – using the anonymous code number instead of the student number. However, at the moment it is not possible to upload multiple feedback files in bulk to anonymous assignments.
- Staff: How can I be an Assignment Administrator? Assignment Administrators are set up per three-letter subject code (e.g. PSY, HIS, CIV, ENG). To change the list of Assignment
Administrators for your subject code, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Staff: Is it possible to switch anonymous assignments to named assignments? When an assignment is created as Named or Anonymous, this can be toggled back and forth later, but only by an Assignment Administrator.
- Staff: When creating an assignment, could the default be set to unlock submissions? The reason why the default is set to lock submissions is that some Schools like to set up a batch of assignments at the start of the year and only unlock them as necessary.
- Staff: Can I check to find out if a student has accessed their assignment feedback? Yes, tracking is available for assignment feedback.
- Staff/Student: I am using the Safari browser, why can I not open any Microsoft Office files? There are two options when opening Microsoft Office files on the Safari browser: Option 1: Click on the selection box beside the Microsoft Office file, click on the Documents tab and choose Download a Copy. Option 2: Click on the drop down arrow beside the Microsoft Office file, choose Send to and then choose Download a Copy.
- Student: Can I upload a file which relates to a discussion? Yes, you can simply attach the file to the topic (Edit tab/Attach File). Note: It is not possible for students to use the Upload File option.
- Staff: Is it possible to create several discussions, but not make them visible to students yet? Yes, it is possible to set permissions on discussions and also on wikis (students can have read only, contribute or no access at all).
- Staff/Student: How do I get access to the e-learning templates? Simply click on this elearning templates link
- Student: Why can I not see my modules? First of all check that you are enrolled for the module in the student information system (Qsis). In Qsis, click Self Service >> Student centre. Select the Academics tab. All your modules for the academic year should appear under the term summary section. It will show each component part of the course you are registered for, for example if the course has a lecture, tutorial and a practical all three will appear. Note: It can take up to 48 hours after gettting enrolled for a module - before you actually see your module listed. Over the 48 hour period Qsis transfers your data into the VLE. Also Note: if you have not made your required fee payments - you may not see your modules. If you have any Qsis queries, contact the student guidance helpline on ext: 3223 or email email@example.com.
- Staff: Why can I not see my modules? In Qsis click Self Service >> Faculty centre. Any modules you have been attached to should appear. If you can see your module in Qsis but not in the Queen's Online VLE, please ask a member of your School Office to check that you have been given the role of VLE Update in the Meetings tab located in Schedule of classes >> Maintain schedule of classes. Note: It can take up to 48 hours after gettting the role of VLE Update - before you actually see your module listed. If you have any Qsis queries, contact the Qsis service desk on ext: 2884 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Staff/Student: What can I do to stop being prompted for my username and password all the time? Internet Explorer/Google Chrome and Mozilla FireFox users should follow the quick and easy steps in the 'Preventing Multiple Logins' document (pdf file - 4 pages). This document shows you how to add SharePoint sites, as Trusted sites and this should improve your SharePoint experience when working on the VLE and other SharePoint sites. Important Note: You should not prevent multiple logins on a laptop or any other form of mobile device, just in case the laptop is lost or stolen! Note: To download pdf files, you will require Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer. This software can be downloaded from the Adobe website.
- Staff/Student: Why is the VLE so slow? If you are using Windows 7 and the VLE is very slow, you may need to switch off IE8 / Tools / Internet Options / Connections / LAN settings / Automatic configuration. This will also help with School/Directorate SharePoint sites.
- Staff: Is is possible to access a student view of a module? Unfortunately it is not possible to give staff a student view of the system as access is strictly controlled by user type and staff are treated as staff at all times primarily for security purposes. Plus the student essentially sees what an academic sees at the minute anyway, it is just some permissions that are different. If you choose to create scheduled folders, these will be highlighted as online or offline for students, depending on the scheduling.
- Staff/Student: What can I do to stop being prompted for my username and password all the time? Internet Explorer/Google Chrome and Mozilla FireFox users should follow the quick and easy steps in the 'Preventing Multiple Logins' document (pdf file - 4 pages). This document shows you how to add SharePoint sites, as Trusted sites and this should improve your SharePoint experience when working on the VLE and other SharePoint sites. Important Note: If you do this one you laptop or any other form of mobile device, be advised that you need to have a strong password on your device just in case the laptop is lost or stolen!
Note: To download pdf files, you will require Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer. This software can be downloaded from the Adobe website.
- Staff/Student: Why can I not login to QOL and/or the VLE? Try typing ads\ before your username (which is your staff/student number) and then enter your normal password.
- Staff/Student: How do I log out of the VLE? Click on the drop down arrow beside your name (top right of the page) and choose Sign Out.
- Staff: Is a manual on the VLE available? Yes, a manual is available.
- Staff: How do I make a change to the Module Description? All changes must be done on the Qsis Course Catalog.
- Student: Why can I not see any resources? Don't panic! Your lecturer may not have uploaded any resources to your module yet - or they may have deleted old resources.
- Staff: Are there any size restrictions when uploading a file into the resources? Yes - the maximum file size which can be uploaded at any one time is 100MB.
- Staff: What do I do if I accidentally delete some resources? You can recover resources from the Recycle Bin for up to 30 days, however Information Services may be able to recover resources for 60 days. Contact email@example.com
- Staff: Can resources be copied between modules from one year to another? Yes, as long as you are registered for the modules (via Qsis). You can either use Explorer or the Resource Copy facility.
- Staff/Student: Does my School have a Shared Student Resources site? To check this, login to your QOL homepage and click on the Learning Home link. Click on your School's Shared Student Resources site.
- Staff: I only have peripheral involvement in a module, but my name and email address are listed under Staff Involved. How can I remove my details, so students will not see them? Simply click on Staff Involved and click on the Change Visibility button. The icon beside your details will be greyed out indicating that you are invisible to students!
- Staff: Is it possible to get a print out of the students who are due to attend my tutorial group? Yes, on your module homepage, simply click on your tutorial group and then click on student images. You will be able to print the student images.
- Staff: Can tracking be switched on and off? No, student usuage of resources and their participation in discussions/wikis are all automatically tracked. Tracking is also available for assignment feedback.
- Staff: Is branching available in the surveys tool? Yes, branching is available. Note: the survey tool is useful for basic polls, but if you require a detailed survey, it is recommended that you use a specialist survey tool, i.e. Questback.
- Staff/Student: Why is my tutorial group not listed on my module homepage? All registrations for tutorial groups are completed in Qsis. Contact your School Office for advice.
- Staff/Student: After I log in, the name shown for me in the top right of the screen is wrong. How can I correct it? Contact the Computer Helpdesk and ask for your name to be updated in the Active Directory.
- Staff: Can discussions/wikis be copied from one year to the next (similar to Resource Copy)? Sorry, but at the moment this is a no! Any data held by the University is subject to the Data Protection Act 1998. You cannot collect data for one purpose then use it for another purpose, without the explicit permission of the original user submitting the data. Plus if the original purpose for which the data is collected has passed then some would argue that the data should not be held at all.
Note: Don't forget there are lots more FAQs available on the Information Services website.