A range of IT equipment can be purchased from the University Suppliers, for example:
Information Services works closely with the Procurement Office, to ensure that the University Supplier Agreements provide the best deals, both technically and financially.
From time to time, Information Services also offers PCs from Student Computing areas for redeployment. This is usually advertised via Staff Roundup.
How do I Purchase IT Equipment
Few things you should know when buying a Computer
- Windows 7 Enterprise Edition is the University's recommended operating system. This is a high end version, which is only available via the Microsoft Campus Agreement programme, it cannot be purchased from a shop or a computer manufacturer. Note: Computers can be purchased with Windows 7 Home Edition and upgraded to the Windows 7 Enterprise Edition. This can be done by the IT Service Desk or your School Computing Officer.
- Windows 7 for Home use is available under the Microsoft Campus Agreement. Contact the IT Helpdesk for advice. Note: Any software installed on a home computer under the Microsoft Campus Agreement must be removed when the staff member leaves the University.
- Extra memory usually increases performance whenever a number of applications have to be opened simultaneously.
- Most University Suppliers are contracted to include a 3 year on‐site warranty as standard. Additional warranty can be arranged. Also, there is usually an 8 business hour response time for faults. Note: The response time is not the time to fix but rather the time to respond to the logging of a fault.
- Please check delivery charges, if any, made by each Supplier, as sometimes charges are only levied if the item has to be despatched and delivered within a day or two.
- Each new computer will be delivered with a set of disks and manuals for the software licensed by the supplier and supplied to you. Note: It is important to retain and store these items in a safe place to pass on to a new owner at some future date. This is especially true when a computer is offered for sale at the end of its University life.