Staff Courses - book via Queen's Online - click on Other (below the heading Services), then click on the Training Courses link - this invokes the iTrent training system. For staff using iTrent this video shows how to book a course. Course Descriptions on the STDP pages. Course Dates in this one-page PDF. Course resources - http://go.qub.ac.uk/itdocs (QOL access)
PG students can attend courses organised via the Graduate School
The IT Training and Assessment Unit offers staff members a range of training courses and self-study resouces in IT Skills for staff, for PGR and PGT students; plus support via Schools to undergraduates. The main aim is to help colleagues and students use IT in ways which make them more effective and efficient in their work and studies: SMART workers!
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Telephone: (9097) 6189 Address: IT Training and Assessment Unit, Information Services, The McClay Library, 10 College Park, Belfast BT7 1LP
The IT Training and Assessment Unit is an accredited Test Centre providing the European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL) which is an internationally recognised IT qualification. ECDL and ECDL Advanced is offered to current staff and students. Accreditation in the UK is by the British Computer Society. Find out more.
Staff - Booking, Course Details and Venue
Staff Courses can now be booked via Queen's Online - click on Other (below the heading Services), then click on the Training Courses link - this invokes the iTrent training system. For staff using iTrent this video shows how to book a course.
All staff IT training courses are free of charge. Course materials can be accessed via the SharePoint library at http://go.qub.ac.uk/itdocs
- When you have booked an IT training course, you will get an email confirmation or you will be placed on a waiting list.
- It is important, if unable to attend, that you cancel your booking via the booking system or email@example.com at least 2 days beforehand.
Course Descriptions on the STDP pages
Duration: The majority of the courses include demonstration and practical work and come with high quality documentation; courses vary in length from one hour briefing sessions to one day's training. The most popular courses are offered several times each academic year.
Schedule: The courses are delivered during both semesters. By arrangement courses can be provided outside this period.
Venue: Courses are delivered in the state-of-the-art training suites in the McClay Library. The McClay Library is 11 on the campus map (PDF)
Course Request: If you have a request for a course on an IT topic not covered in the programme or wish to have a course provided for your unit, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Briefings for Staff
Information Services briefs nomiminated School/Directorate staff about the latest development in our services. Please visit the IS Briefings SharePoint site
PG research and taught students
The Unit is a major contributor to the Postgraduate Researcher Development Programme (PRDP) organised by The Graduate School.
IT courses for PG taught students are also provided through the Graduate School.
Student IT Skills
Information Services offers a range of services to support students develop IT skills. These are described below:
Introduction to IT and Library Services (Student Induction): The IT Training and Assessment Unit and the Library work closely with academic staff to provide an 'Introduction to Library and IT Facilities' to new, mostly, undergraduate students. By the end of week 1 most new students will have attended sessions to hear about IT and Library facilities followed by a Library tour, with an opportunity to meet their Subject Librarian. The key web pages for new, all, students are at www.qub.ac.uk/student
Student IT Skills (Individual Students or Support for Schools): Students can acquire IT skills either through their School or individually through support for taking the European Computer Driving Licence (Core and Advanced - see ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence)). The Unit provides:
- Following on from Induction: IT training sessions (organised through Schools or the PG Training Office) for those students lacking the necessary basic IT skills.
- Support for the introduction of an IT element into a module or pathway. This support includes training materials developed for students. Staff may take and adapt the training materials with due attribution (the documents are available, on request, in Word format). Most of our training materials are available from http://go.qub.ac.uk/itdocs
- Support for the introduction of the European Computer Driving Licence or ECDL Advanced into courses.
- General advice and support on ICT assessment.
The IT Training and Assessment Unit have collated a wide range of training resources, available to both staff and students. These include
- Workbooks and exercises (Office 2013, SharePoint and others) developed by Queen's staff - available from the SharePoint document library, Documents for Visitors (short link: http://go.qub.ac.uk/itdocs) (all staff members and students) have automatic access using their Queen's Online credentials.
- Direction to materials freely available over the Internet (listed below)
University College Berkeley Guide to quality on the Internet http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/TeachingLib/Guides/Internet/Evaluate.html
Matlab - on the Mathworks website, sign up for training materials - http://www.mathworks.co.uk/help/index.html?s_cid=global_nav On the Queen's Online home page under Research staff and PG research students may access instructions to download Matlab.
R is a language and environment for statistical computing and graphics. It is available in the Student Computing Areas. Some training sites: http://www.r-tutor.com/ and the R site: http://www.r-project.org/