Information Services through the IT Training and Assessment Unit offers a range of services to support students develop IT skills. These are described below:
Introduction to IT and Library Services (Student Induction): The IT Training and Assessment Unit and the Library work closely with academic staff to provide an 'Introduction to Library and IT Facilities' to new, mostly, undergraduate students. By the end of week 1 most new students will have attended sessions to hear about IT and Library facilities followed by a Library tour, with an opportunity to meet their Subject Librarian. The key web pages for new, all, students are at www.qub.ac.uk/student
Student IT Skills (Individual Students or Support for Schools): Students can acquire IT skills either through their School or individually through support for taking the European Computer Driving Licence (Core and Advanced - see IT Accreditation (ECDL)). The Unit provides:
- Following on from Induction: IT training sessions (organised through Schools) for those students lacking the necessary basic IT skills.
- Support for the introduction of an IT element into a module or pathway. This support includes training materials developed for students. Staff may take and adapt the training materials with due attribution (the documents are available, on request, in Word format). Most of our training materials are available from http://go.qub.ac.uk/itdocs
- Support for the introduction of the European Computer Driving Licence into courses - this internationally recognized qualification spans NVQ levels 1 and 2. There are seven tests: Basic Concepts of Information Technology; Using the Computer and Managing Files; Word processing; Spreadsheets; Database; Presentation; Information and Communication. Staff may consider placing the 7 tests in more than one module.
- Support for ECDL Advanced.
- General advice and support on ICT assessment inclduing Access to an assessment tool that tests core ICT competencies. The test can be included in module assessments i.e. as part of an ICT module, Generic Skills module or embedded within existing subject specific modules.