If you are thinking about applying to Queen's you need to know about the General Entrance Requirement (sometimes referred to as the Matriculation Requirement) and the Course Requirements for the course(s) of your choice.
General Entrance RequirementYou can satisfy the General Entrance Requirement in a number of ways as shown below. In all cases GCSE English Language at Grade C or an equivalent qualification.
- Curriculum 2000 Qualifications
The General Entrance Requirement may be satisfied by passes in the General Certificate of Secondary Education (grades A, B or C), the General Certificate of Education (Advanced Level) or Vocational Certificate of Education (Advanced Level) as follows:
- Passes in five subject, two of which should be at A-Level (GCE or VCE)
- Passes in four subjects, of which three should be at A-Level (GCE or VCE)
In either pattern, a Double Award VCE or Double Award Applied A-Level will be acceptable in place of two GCE/VCE A-Levels. Two Advanced Subsidiary GCE or VCE qualifications will not be acceptable in place of one A-Level in fulfilment of the General Entrance Requirement.
- An Edexcel Higher National Certificate or Diploma
Your educational background, including subjects studied at GCSE/GCE may be taken into account. Performance in the first year of the qualification is also taken into consideration.
- An Edexcel National Diploma or OCR Advanced Diploma
Your educational background, including subjects studied at GCSE may be taken into account. Performance in the first year of the qualification is also taken into consideration.
- The International Baccalaureate Diploma
The Irish Leaving Certificate
In terms of the Irish Leaving Certificate, the General Entrance Requirement can be satisfied by passes in five subjects to include English, four of which should be at the Higher Level at Grade C or better. Individual subjects at Ordinary Level at Grade D or better may be equated to a GCE O-Level or GCSE pass in the same subject.
The European Baccalaureate
English Language Requirements for International StudentsOne of the under-noted approved tests in English may be offered in place of GCSE English Language
- IGCSE English Language or a recognised overseas O-Level English Language.
- University Entrance Test in English for Speakers of Other Languages (UETESOL) of the Assessment and Qualifications Alliance (AQA).
- The Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English.
- The Cambridge Overseas School Certificate with Credit.
- The British Council IELTS Test.
Other English Language qualifications may be acceptable (contact the Admissions Office for advice).
All subjects set by recognised examination boards are, in principle, acceptable for fulfilling the General Entrance Requirement. The University will take account of restrictions imposed by the examinations board and possible overlap between subjects.
In considering applications from candidates, individual departments reserve the right to take account of the range, content and number of subjects being offered.
Applicants who require advice about eligibility should contact the Admissions Office.
Course requirements for individual courses can be found in the various Course Finders that can be accessed from the Entrance Requirements page.