Calling all ambitious, savvy, entrepreneurial women at Queen’s! Our Innovateher programme is here.
If you want to get a sneak peek into the world of work or even think that starting a business might be for you, but you need some inspiration, know-how, and support then this programme will suit you down to the ground.
By signing up to Innovateher you will:
Develop vital business skills
You will improve your skills that are oh so important in the world of work, like how to:
- Negotiate and persuade
- Think creatively
- Give presentations
- Work as part of a team
- Network with other individuals
To do this you will take part in fun and interactive sessions led by people who are highly respected in their fields. To give you a taste of what could be in store, last year Alma McManus from Clothesology led a session about presentation skills, professional image and confidence. Helen Keys, a local Business Consultant spilled the beans on networking with others and making the most of your contacts!
Become business savvy
You will get the chance to go to lots of training sessions, which focus on important areas like:
- Honing in on a business idea that works
- Writing your business plan
- Approaching marketing and PR
- Carrying out market research
- Understanding both the financial and legal side of business
In the past we have hit:
- The Botanic Inns Headquarters where Linda Rodgers, Sales and Marketing Manager talked about the magic of marketing
- Invest NI where research was the name of the game
Meet ambitious female entrepreneurs
You will meet a variety of respected local business women in Northern Ireland. You can listen and learn from their first hand experiences and pick their brains for the best advice around.
Here are just a few who have joined us to share their entrepreneurial journey in the past:
- Kate Marshall, Chair of Women in Business
- Debbie Hughes, Founder of ‘Dazzle Me With Your Tips’, a hand and nail treatment company
- Lois Cameron, Director of ‘Leisure Industry Academy’, which offers courses and qualifications for gym instructors and personal trainers
Gain vital commercial insight
Loads of the sessions will give you the chance to get off-campus to visit lots of business venues and gain vital commercial insight. You could be jetting off to places like:
- Stormont Parliament Buildings
- Belfast Metropolitan College Titanic Quarter and Springvale Campuses
- The New York Stock Exchange
- The MAC
Network, network, network
It's really important in business to have a good network of people that you can use to your advantage. You will meet lots of people (who are in high places) whom you can create relationships with and maybe even use their help to get you where you want to go.
Master the boardroom pitch
At the end of the programme you will get the chance to pitch your business idea to a panel of experts (for example, Darina Armstrong, CEO of Progressive Building Society) and you could even win money for your efforts, which could be put towards your startup idea.
When you complete the programme you can earn a Queen’s Degree Plus Award and a Queen’s Certificate in Entrepreneurship Studies. Both of which will be amazing additions to your degree and will really wow employers!
For further information and to register for this programme please contact firstname.lastname@example.org