About Us

Contact Info

Student Guidance Centre
Queen's University Belfast
(028) 9097 2727
Email: Student Guidance Centre

Postgraduate Student Support
Queen's University Belfast
(028) 9097 2585
Email:  Postgraduate Office
Web: http://qub.ac.uk/postgraduate 

International Student Support
Queen’s University Belfast
(028) 9097 3899
Email: International Student Support
Web: http://www.qub.ac.uk/isso


Your Studies - Your Money - Your Life

Your Studies

Where do I get a new student card?
Come to the Information desk in the Student Guidance Centre. Cards that aren’t working will be replaced at no charge. Cards lost or damaged due to misuse or issues of user care have a £10 replacement fee.


What do I do if I get behind with my course work?

It can happen to everyone, and the first thing you will want to do is speak to the specific module tutor(s) for the modules you are worried about. Your Personal Tutor is also someone who can give you advice.

If you realise that this is a chronic problem, the Learning Development Service offers one-to-one support and training sessions on time management.

You don’t have to deal with the stress alone – even if you’re just feeling overwhelmed, talking can help. The Counselling Service provides a free, confidential space for you to work through challenges and figure out what to do next.


What if I’m not happy on my course?

This could be for a lot of reasons, so there might not be one right answer.

If you really just are confused and dealing with a lot of change, you might want to make an appointment to speak to a Counsellor. They are there to listen to you, confidentially and non-judgementally, and help you work through your thoughts. You can call or email the Counselling Service (tel: 0808 800 0016 or email: qubstudents@carecallwellbeing.com).

A good place to start is speaking to someone in your School, such as an Adviser of Studies or Personal Tutor. They may be aware of other options, or ways to improve things that are causing you unhappiness.

You may also want to speak to someone in the Careers Service about options for you, both on your current course, and other potential courses.


How do I change or leave my course?

There might be a lot to consider in changing or leaving a course, depending on which course you want to change to and the point you are at in your studies. However, if you don’t think the course is right for you, we can help you to work through the options.

In the first instance, speak to your Advisor of Studies in your School. If you don’t know who this is, just ask at the School Office. They can help you explore any options within your course or the range of courses offered within the School, and will also have to undertake some of the paperwork required for you to change courses or withdraw from your current course.

You may also need to speak to someone in the Admissions & Access Service about the requirements for the course you want to change to.

If you are in the UK on a study visa, changing or leaving your course may have visa implications. Please contact the International Student Support Team (028 9097 3899) for further information and advice. You may also want to speak to the Students’ Union Advice Centreabout the financial implications if you want to leave a course.


How do I find a Queen’s building?

It might be helpful to start with a map, found here. There are also signposts throughout campus directing you to main buildings. If all else fails, just ask someone!


Where can I get an academic transcript?

Official Academic transcripts can be ordered through Queen’s On-line or by clicking here. These cost £5.00 per transcript. Unofficial transcripts can be printed from your QSIS account under your Student Centre.


What can I do if I fail an exam/module?

Talk to your Adviser of Studies. They can guide you through what happens next, and any implications for your course. If you could use some help in improving your study skills, contact the Learning Development Service for a one-to-one session.

Students with disabilities may also wish to speak to their Disability Officer if you feel that another look needs to be taken at your non-medical support. Click here for more information regarding Disability Services.

Performing poorly on an exam or assessment can bring you down and start to negatively impact on your other studies. Come speak to a Counsellor about managing your thoughts and feelings.

If you are in the UK on a study visa, failing an exam or module may have visa implications. Please contact the International Student Support Team (028 9097 3899) for further information and advice.


How do I make a complaint?

The University Regulations set out a complaints procedure for student complaints, which is followed for a complaint regarding any aspect of your life at Queen’s. This can be found here, together with guidance for students.

The University also has a policy against bullying and harassment and a procedure for addressing instances of bullying by other students or a member of staff.

In the first instance, it is hoped that your issue or concern can be addressed quickly and satisfactorily at local level by informal means. If you don’t feel that you can speak to the member of staff involved, you can raise the complaint with the Head of School or the relevant service.

For support and guidance in raising a complaint, speak to the Students’ Union Advice Centre.


Where can I get learning support if I have a disability?

The University’s Disability Services provides information, advice and support to disabled people who study at Queen’s. If you declare a disability as part of your application process, you will be contacted by the Service to arrange an initial appointment prior to start of the academic year. If you did not declare a disability as part of your application, but wish to speak to a Disability Officer about support that might be available to you, contact disability.office@qub.ac.uk.

Each School also has a Disability Adviser, who is a member of academic staff within the School identified to provide advice and support to those students who may be experiencing academic difficulties as a result of their disability. A list of Disability Advisers is available here.


Can I have any support with my maths/written work?

The Learning Development Service can help you with identifying and improving areas where you are having difficulties, such as numeracy skills and essay-writing. Click here for web resources and details about workshops or one-to-one sessions.


What do I do if I am suspended?

According to University Regulations, a student suspension is “the total prohibition on attendance at or access to University facilities and on any participation in University activities; but it may be subject to qualification, such as permission to attend for the purpose of an examination.”

The University will send you a letter if you have been suspended. If you believe that the suspension has been in error, you should contact the area identified on the letter of suspension. If you have queries about your status and what to do next, or if you are dissatisfied after speaking to the relevant area, contact the Students’ Union Advice Centre.

If you are in the UK on a study visa, being suspended may have visa implications. Please contact the International Student Support Team (028 9097 3899) for further information and advice.


What do I do if I have a problem with my Adviser of Studies/Supervisor?

This can be a difficult issue, as these are the people you are often referred to for help. If there another member of staff in your School whom you feel you can trust, such as your Personal Tutor, you might want to speak to them, and ask them to help you speak to the Head of School.

If you don’t feel comfortable speaking to anyone in your School about the difficulty, then you can speak to the Education and Welfare Officer in the Students’ Union Advice Office or to one of the Sabbatical Officers in the Students’ Union.


How can I change/update my personal details?

You can change/update your personal details using Qsis, which you can access through your Queen’s On-Line. You can also print out a range of letters for yourself using Queen’s On-Line (my documents), such as a letter to confirm your student status.

If you don’t have access to the internet or a printer, you can also go to the Student Guidance Centre – make sure you bring your student card or another form of picture ID.


I'm an international student - can I get some help with my English?

The English Language Unit offers English language support specifically for Queen’s students, as well as courses for the general public. Click here for more information.

Top of page

Your Money

Who can help me with my debt?

The Students’ Union Advice Centre has a dedicated Debt Advisor, as well as a general Financial Advisor. Don’t hesitate to come in and speak to them if you have a small query or a big problem.


Who do I speak to about student loans?

Student Loans are administered by the Student Loans Company (SLC), so if you have a specific query about your application, you may have to go directly to them. You can also speak to someone in Student Finance Office about the assessment and collection of fees, and where to go if you need a bit of financial help.

Information and advice can also be provided by the Financial Advisor in the Students’ Union Advice Centre.


How do I open a bank account?

Current legislation in the UK does not allow you to open a bank account in the UK prior to your arrival, but you could ask if your bank at home has a special relationship with a bank in Northern Ireland and whether it can help you with setting up an account in any other way.  Your bank may be able to offer you advice on transferring money to the UK.  Whilst there is no limit on the funds brought into the UK, you may need to meet exchange control requirements in your own country.  Please do not bring large amounts of cash with you to the UK as it can take several days to open a bank account and there are obvious security risks in keeping large sums of money with you.  We would strongly recommend alternative safer methods, such as travellers’ cheques or banker’s draft.

Documents you will need to open a bank account include:

  • Your passport
  • Evidence of your UK address (e.g. your tenancy agreement)
  • Proof of student status

If you are living in Queen’s accommodation, Elms Village reception can provide you with a letter giving proof of your UK address. Once you have registered and have an IT login/password, you can print out a letter of student status using Queen’s On-Line. This can also be provided by bringing your student card to the Student Guidance Centre.

The main Northern Ireland Banks are situated close to the University, along University Road.


Is there any money available to me outside of student loans?

There are a range of other sources of financial support, including institutional bursaries, government grants, scholarships, Disability Support Allowances and hardship funds.

Student Support and Hardship funds [link to www.qub.ac.uk/sgc/finance/StudentSupport]

Institutional Bursaries [ link to http://www.qub.ac.uk/directorates/sgc/finance/StudentSupport/InstitutionalBursaries/ ]

Disability Support Allowance [link to

http://www.qub.ac.uk/directorates/sgc/disability/Services/Funding/ ]

Scholarships [link to http://www.qub.ac.uk/home/ProspectiveStudents/UndergraduateStudents/Scholarships/ ]

Postgraduate Awards [link to http://www.qub.ac.uk/home/ProspectiveStudents/PostgraduateStudents/PostgraduateOffice/PostgraduateAwards/ ]


Where and how do I pay my fees?

For the start of the academic year, your fee payments information will be collected as part of the enrolment and registration process (http://www.qub.ac.uk/home/WelcomeandRegistration/). If you have queries at any point about the payment of your fees, please contact Student Finance Office (www.qub.ac.uk/sgc/finance). 


How do I get reimbursed for my rates?

To find out if you're eligible to have your rates paid go to www.lpsni.gov.uk. Click on "need help paying your rate bill" and then in the right hand column you'll find a button for "rate relief for full time students.

You will need evidence of your student status – you can print this letter yourself from Queen’s On-Line (my documents).

Top of page

Your Life

Who do I speak to about problems?

The University offers a range of services that are free for Queen’s students – sometimes it can be hard to navigate them all! The important thing to remember is that if you come to us and ask for help, we will try to find the person or service best suited to help you.  If you’ve looked at the student info website and can’t figure out where to go, your options are:

Speak to a member of staff in your School, such as your Personal Tutor or Adviser of Studies – they can point you in the right direction.

Call, email or visit the Student Guidance Centre Information desk

028 9097 2727 or sgc@qub.ac.uk

Located across from the Lanyon Building, next to the Students’ Union and above Ulsterbank.

Ask one of the Sabbatical Officers in the Students’ Union (www.qubsu.org/theexec.asp) or visit the Students’ Union Advice Centre.

If you are an international student, speak to a member of the International Student Support Team (028 9097 3899) or visit their offices in Lanyon Building South.

If you live in Queen’s student accommodation, speak to your Resident Advisor (RA) or one of the Community Youth Workers.


Where can I get help if I have a problem with my accommodation?

If you live in Queen’s student accommodation, you might want to speak to your Resident Advisor (RA) or one of the Community Youth Workers. If that’s not for you, then you can also speak directly to a member of the Accommodation team, just stop in at the reception or call (028) 90974403 or email: accommodation@qub.ac.uk.

For any accommodation matter, particularly if you are living in the private sector, you can speak to our advisors in the Students’ Union Advice Centre.


How do I register for a Doctor / Dentist?

If you are a student living away from home, the Health and Social Services Board recommends that you are registered with a GP within 10 miles of your place of residence. Students are encouraged to register with the University Health Centre at Queen’s (5 Lennoxvale, 10 min walk from Elms Village).

During Enrolment and Registration, University Health Centre staff will be on duty at the various Enrolment and Registration centres to help you register with them, or you can call in at 5 Lennoxvale. If you require any help in registering or more information about the Health Centre, please call +44 (028) 9097 5551 or visit www.universityhealthcentreatqueens.co.uk.

To find a dentist close to your accommodation visit www.centralservicesagency.com/display/howtofindadentist. Before you register with a dentist, make sure that they are NHS registered – and remember, many students can get discounts for dental treatment.


How do I find a place to park?

The University promotes all modes of sustainable travel and recommends that students avoid bringing a car to campus. A limited amount of on-site car parking exists at Elms Village, however only after strict criteria is applied. Further advice is available here.

There is some free parking on the roads surrounding the campus, but be aware that during term time it is very busy and spaces are few and far between - allow up to ½ an hour to find a parking space. The best advice is to take public transport when possible to avoid the stress of looking for a space!

The exception to this is if you are coming to campus after 5:30 pm, when all car parking becomes free.


Where can I get student discounts?

You’d be surprised at the range of shops, bars, restaurants and entertainment venues that offer student discounts. Just ask! You can also buy a NUS Extra card for £10 which will gain you numerous discounts at retailers across the United Kingdom.  Further information can be found here. You can also upgrade to the International Students Identity Card for only £1. Usually costing £9, the ISIC card offers discounts in over 140 countries worldwide. 


Where do I get sexual health information from?

The University Health Centre is an excellent source of advice, and runs an open access Sexual Health Clinic for 18 – 24 year olds in the practice area including those who are not patients of the University Health Centre at Queen’s.  This is currently run on a Wednesday afternoon from 2pm – 5pm. 


I'm an international student - how do I acquire visas to study and travel?

The International Student Support (ISS) Office provides visa and immigration information and advice to international students. You can make an appointment or book a place on an immigration session by emailing or by visiting the office. ISS also have a drop in session every day where you can arrive on the day to get advice.

While studying in Belfast, if you plan to visit other countries within Europe you may need a visa depending on your nationality. You will need a letter from the Student Guidance Centre Information desk or from your School, confirming your student status in the UK. Please note that students should normally only travel during agreed vacation periods, and that travel during term time must be approved by School staff and an agreement record should be kept by the School. Please visit the ISS website for further details.

Immigration rules for the UK are very complicated. At Queen’s University the only staff who are permitted to give immigration advice to applicants or students are staff at ISS. If you have any questions you should email iss@qub.ac.uk or call 028 9097 3899– we are always happy to hear from you and find answers to your questions.

For further information please visit the ISS website


Where do I go if I am suffering from emotional distress/personal troubles?

The University recognises that personal distress and difficulties impact on your ability to do your best in your studies, so there is a free, completely confidential Counselling Service for all Queen’s students. This is located on the second floor in the Student Guidance Centre, and you can contact the Service to make an appointment by calling 028 9097 2774 or emailing qubstudents@carecallwellbeing.com.  

How can I find a part time job?

There are many options for part-time work, particularly within the University. The Students’ Union employs a number of students every year, so keep an eye out for adverts. The Student Jobshop advertises roles that are just for students.


How many hours can I work?

The University recommends that you do not undertake more than 15 hours of work per week if you are engaged in full-time studies.

International students are limited by their visa, and most cannot undertake more than 20 hours of work during term time. However, permission to work varies depending on your visa classification, so please check with the International Student Support Team (028 9097 3899) for further advice or information.


Does Queen's run childcare facilities?

Queen’s offers childcare facilities for staff and students. Visit the website for more information.


Where can I find out about clubs/societies/interest groups at Queen's?

There are other activities organised through the Students’ Union throughout the year. Joining the gym or a new club or society is also a great way of meeting new people and a great way to spend your free time. For information on Queen’s Sport visit www.qub.ac.uk/sport or you can join a club or society at the Freshers’ Bazaar. Check out the fantastic range of clubs and societies on offer at

Top of page