Understanding Graduate Schemes
There isn’t a strict definition, but graduate schemes tend to be defined by the following criteria:
- Operated by large organisations which are often household names e.g. Civil Service, NHS, PwC, GSK, BT
- Fixed term – usually 18 months – 2 years. Most people are offered permanent jobs with the organisation at the end of the fixed term.
- These are real jobs with some additional study/support elements. Many operate a rotational system so that graduates spend some time working in different departments.
- Well paid – they usually have better pay and benefits than other graduate options.
- Competitive – when you read in the media c.80 people applying for every graduate job, it’s generally graduate schemes they are talking about.
- Some organisations set entry requirements of 2.1 or above and some set UCAS requirements. There is also usually a long recruitment process.
- Timeline – most (but not all) are open for applications in autumn and many (but not all) close by December.
- Graduate schemes are not the only route to a graduate job! Most graduates find graduate level work outside of graduate schemes.
Find graduate schemes:
Accountancy, Banking, Finance, Management Consultancy and Technology Consultancy
Banking & Finance
- Banking Jobs UK – Banking related jobs board
- eFinancialCareers – Banking and finance related jobs board
- FinTRU – local company hiring graduates of any degree to work in finance
- Inside Careers - Banking & Investments - Banking and finance related jobs board
- State Street – international company hiring graduates locally to work in banking and finance
Accounting, Management and Technology Consultancy
Some international companies hiring graduates of any degree discipline to work in a range of areas including Accounting, business consultancy and technology consultancy:
Data Science & Statistics
- Allstate – Insurance company with data science roles for graduates
- AquaQ Analytics – local data management, data analytics and data mining company who have hired a number of QUB graduates from Maths & Physics
- Datatech – a data science, analytics and statistics company based in England
- StatsLife - statistics jobs
- GSS - Government Statistical Service
Aeronautical, Defence, Manufacturing, Mechanical
Some of the large companies hiring graduates in this area
Oil, Gas and Nuclear
- Careers in nuclear - Atkins
- Careers in oil and gas - Atkins
- Culham Centre for Fusion Energy
- BP Global
- National Grid careers
- National Nuclear Laboratory
- The Nuclear Graduate Scheme
- Shell Global
- TOTAL E&P UK Graduate Recruitment
- Careers at CCFE – Culham Centre for Fusion Energy
- Northern Ireland Renewables Industry Group
Scientific equipment manufacturers
- Aerotech - design and manufacture motion control and positioning systems
- Andor – Belfast-based company making high performance scientific digital cameras
- Aquilant Scientific
- Bartington Instruments
- Cryogenic ltd
- Hiden Analytical – design and manufacture quadrupole mass spectrometers
- Keysight Technologies
- Laser Support Services
- Mason Technology
- Oxford Instruments
- Texas Instruments
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Torr Scientific - manufactures and processes Vacuum Optics, Thin Film Coatings, X-ray and Electron-Optical products in clean production conditions