Consider Your Career Options
As a postgraduate researcher you will be used to searching the internet as well as the library to locate reference material. What information is available when you want to research your career options?
Services available from Careers, Employability and Skills
- You are welcome to arrange an appointment with a Careers Adviser in order to discuss career options in more detail. These sessions can be used to discuss any aspect of your future career planning, and are available to you no matter what stage you may be at in the process - from those with a clear sense of direction to those who feel somewhat unsure about the future. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.
- You can attend workshops to find out more about career options with a PhD through the Postgraduate Skills Training Programme (PSTP).
- Our Careers Information Area is located in the Student Guidance Centre and is available for you to use either on your own or with help from our staff.
- The Planning Your Career section of our website provides further information and links
What do PhDs do?
A series of reports on the employment destinations of PhD graduates published by Vitae, entitled What do researchers do?, show the range of sectors where PhD students find employment.
Further sources of help:
- The Prospects website provides a wealth of information on jobs and employers, featuring a useful career guidance tool called Prospects Planner which allows you to match your interests and skills to different careers. You can use Prospects Planner either on your own, or to facilitate a discussion with a Careers Adviser.
- Another excellent source of information is Vitae, which is specifically dedicated to supporting postgraduate researchers to complete their PhD and to make a successful transition to their future careers.
- Beyond the PhD is a careers resource aimed primarily at researchers from the Arts & Humanities featuring profiles, articles and audio/video clips about PhD researchers and their career development.