Improve Your Employability
|1. Understand your career options|
Once you know the type of work you want to pursue you can ensure you develop the skills and experience most sought by employers in those areas. See our 10 tips for identifying and exploring your career options.
|Edna Rodriguez explains how she was supported to identify relevant career options.|
|2. Get some work / volunteering experience|
Part-time work - information about Oncampus Jobs, links to useful websites and tips for finding part-time work.
|Oonagh Nugent explains how part-time work, study abroad opportunities and volunteering have helped her gain relevant skills and experience.|
|3. Get some international experience|
James Douglas describes how a year studying in Canada and the Brussels Study Tour helped him with his career path.
|4. Meet with industry professionals and potential employers|
- Research employers online and find out more about them
- Get an Alumni Career Mentor
- Attend Fairs and Employer Events on campus – details on MyFuture.
- Read our 7 tips for creating a professional online presence and developing your network online
Lois Nelson explains how she made use of the Graduate Recruitment and Placement Fair to help her secure a year-long placement
|5. Gain accreditation for involvement in employability-enhancing activities|
Get Degree Plus accreditation for engaging in activities such as: Peer Mentoring, Milenium Volunteers, Course Representation, Belfast Enterprise Academy
|Diane Murdock lists the range of activities that she has gotten involved with at Queen’s.|
|6. Participate in one of Queen's Career Development Programmes|
Careers, Employability and Skills manage a number of Career Development Programmes to help you enhance your commercial awareness and build your professional network such as our:
- Workplace Study Tours (e.g. to Brussels, to City Law firms, to Bioscience companies)
- The City Scholarship Programme for first year students to undertake paid internships in Legal and Financial companies in cities such as New York , London and Edinburgh
- Insight into Management – 3 days of interactive business games
|7. Plan to make it happen|
Create a Personal Development Plan (PDP) - this is an excellent way of working out what you want and how to achieve your academic, personal and career goals.
|8. Get Inspiration|
Read more inspiring stories of how students and graduates have made the most of their time at Queen’s.