Certificate in Career Management and Employability Skills - Workplace Learning
City of London Study Tours
Careers, Employability and Skills (CES) continues to develop the quality and variety of student workplace experience through structured visits to London graduate recruiters.
Students spend a full 5-day week on employers’ premises in the City of London (around 40 hours).
- Finance City Tour normally the third week in September
- Law City Tour normally the last week in January
Participating students should have either an interest in a graduate role in corporate and commercial law or corporate finance.
The aim is to provide students with:
- an active learning opportunity in City graduate workplaces
- to develop and share understanding of the skills/practices, people and environments
- support applications to graduate roles
Each group visits between 8-10 graduate employers over the course of the week and engages in a range of business games, case studies and related exercises reflecting recruitment selection practices.
Students are also provided with a range of networking opportunities either during the employer visit or after working hours in the evenings, allowing students to make connections with recent graduate employees, Queens’ alumni and senior professionals who may become useful mentors and provide valuable help in the recruitment process.
Through the weeklong event, students develop commercial awareness, experience graduate life in the world’s leading financial centre and practise the employability skills required of the City graduate workplace.
This event is open to all Queens’ students through an application form. Application deadlines are advertised in the events database.
- January Law Study Tour:
Download Law Study Tour Information Sheet
Download Law Study Tour Application Form
- September Finance Study Tour – from Easter
Interested students should review the following resources:
- View a copy of the City of London Finance Tour 2013 here
- Meet the Law Alumni Panel
- The value of City Tours- interview with tour careers adviser audioclip (see below*).
- Experience portfolios - Law and Finance Tour information available for reference in the Student Guidance Centre – Careers and Employability Information area
- Video link to student experience of the Finance Tour 2009
- Promotion/Dissemination events take place after each Tour at which further information is distributed. Law Tours January 2010 and 2011 and Finance Tours 2010 videoclips (see below*)
*Careers media clips are available through your Queen's Online account. You will need your user name and password to access your account and there is a link in the left sidebar titled "Careers Videos".
Applications are assessed on criteria such as career motivation, understanding of the Tour expectations and academic achievement.
Selected students must attend a half day pre-departure briefing which counts towards the certificate in Career Management and Employability Skills: Work Place Learning.
As the Study Tour is a route A activity, students who are awarded the certificate will also receive the Degree Plus accreditation.
Brussels Study Tour
The aim of this programme is to promote the aspiration of living and working at the heart of Europe. Students will participate in a visit programme to a range of EU Institutions in Brussels and other EU related organisations. The primary purpose of each visit will be to gain an understanding of potential graduate careers.
Students are provided with resources and information as well as the opportunity to engage with many speakers who could become potential 'career' mentors.
There will also be a Queen's alumni event to enable students to network with recent and established graduates working in Europe.
Students will design, promote and deliver a dissemination activity to share their experience on campus.
As part of this activity students are expected to: attend a pre and post tour workshop, keep a portfolio of information collated and noted from the tour and contribute to the production of dissemination materials and write a personal career development case study.
To register an interest in this programme please email firstname.lastname@example.org
As the Study Tour is a route A activity, students who are awarded the certificate will also receive theDegree Plus accreditation.