There are a number of good reasons for gaining work experience in addition to your academic studies:
- to develop valuable skills that will impress future employers
- to gain experience and a greater understanding of the work place
- to develop networking opportunities
- to help financially during your studies
You can search for work experience opportunities on MyFuture. You can search for:
- Part-time work and vacation work- ranges from casual work, to work which is more course related. (Please note: if you are on a full time course, we strongly recommend that you should not work for more than 15 hours maximum per week during term time.)
- Summer placements and internships - structured, project based work experience opportunities within larger firms, open to students from any degree and usually highly competitive, usually open to students from any degree discipline and offered to students between their penultimate and final year.
- Year out placements-many courses require students to undertake a one year work placement relevant to their degree programmes. Other students opt to take a year placement to participate in optional extra programmes e.g. Study USA, ERASMUS etc.
- Voluntary work-opportunities in local, national and international organisations. If you have certain careers in mind e.g. the caring professions, teaching, journalism, environmental or museum work, it is considered highly desirable, even essential, to undertake relevant voluntary work first.
- Exchange and working abroad - may be optional or a compulsory element of your course. Schemes can last up to 12 months.
- Degree plus-The Degree Plus Award is a new award for Queen’s students designed to provide official recognition of extra-curricular activities and achievements.