Student Guidance Centre

Support Providers

Queen's Register of Support Providers

Queen's Register of Support Providers

Providing Support to Students

Queen’s is committed to maximising the learning experience for all of its students, including those with disabilities. The University aims to widen participation and learning opportunities for disabled students by matching students with suitably qualified and experienced individuals (Support Providers) to assist with specific academic challenges.

Queen's Register of Support Providers recruits, maintains and trains a pool of suitable Support Providers who can carry out a number of specialist roles to support disabled students on a one-to-one basis. They are enlisted from a variety of backgrounds for a range of posts, from the highly specific such as Dyslexia or Asperger’s Mentor roles that require relevant training/experience, to the more general such as note takers, readers and library assistants where good interpersonal skills are key.  

Support Providers, although recruited by the Queen’s Register, work on a freelance basis and are not employees of the University. Therefore, as it is the student primarily employing the Support Provider, Support Providers are seen by the Inland Revenue as 'Self-Employed'. If you are a Support Provider you should register with the Inland Revenue and explain the type of work that you are involved in - please click here for more information on how to register, tax rates, tax bands, necessary forms and guidance on how to complete these forms. For information on important dates and penalties please click here

Many Support Providers are self-employed in their spare time and in any tax year they may receive small amounts which are better known as 'Small Earnings' by the Inland Revenue. Please see click here for more information.

Payment of Support Providers
The majority of students who access Queen's Register of Support Providers receive funding for personal support through Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) which is awarded through their Education and Library Board, Business Services Organisation, the University or their Local Education Authority.  However, no money changes hands between the student and Support Provider as Support Providers are paid directly by the funding body through BACS (Banks Automated Clearing System) on submission of monthly work records. 

It is very important that Support Providers keep a record of the payments received as this information will need to be supplied to the Inland Revenue at the end of the tax year. It is advised that copies of all work records for the year are kept and marked once payment has been received. 

Supporting Students
When you have been matched with a student, you will be informed in writing and you should arrange to meet up and agree a schedule of support. Each month, you will need to complete and return a word processed/ typed or clearly handwritten and signed Work Record ‌to ensure that you get paid. This should be completed in conjunction with the Work Record Guidance Notes and must be forwarded to the Register by a specific date each month (see -  Work Record Submission & Payment Schedule to ensure that your work record is processed on time.

Please note that because all Support Providers are self-employed and are engaged on a freelance basis, Queen’s Register cannot guarantee an amount of support work. Similarly, you are under no obligation to accept any of the support work offered by Queen’s Register.

Click the below links for information on:


Further Queries
If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Contact Details:

Queen’s Register of Support Providers

Disability Services
Student Guidance Centre
University Road

Tel: 028 9097 3610/ 028 9097 2727

  [Support Queries; Note Taking Cover; Room Bookings; etc] [Work Record & Payment Queries]