Please click here for your Graduation Checklist & Deadlines
When you arrive
Guests should enter Sir William Whitla Hall through the centre doors, handing their tickets to security as they enter the Hall.
Graduands must enter the Hall through the left side doors. You must check the board outside the door for your name and seat number before entering the hall. Please ensure you see a member of staff before taking your seats to ensure your gown is correctly worn.
Comfort breaks and personal belongings
We politely ask graduands to ensure they have taken all necessary comfort breaks before they enter the Hall. Once registered it is essential you remain seated, to ensure your name is read out during the Ceremony.
If you feel unwell or that you need to leave the hall during the ceremony please identify yourself to a member of staff who will escort you from the hall.
Students taking part in the Graduation Ceremonies should observe the following conventions about dress.
- All Graduands must wear the gown and hood of the appropriate degree.
- Hoods should be worn in the way demonstrated by University staff on duty at the ceremony.
- Men may wear the front band of the hood under the tie or pinned not more than eight inches below the neck.
- Women may wear the front band at the neck or pinned not more than eight inches below the neck.
Instructions have been issued to University staff, not to admit to the ceremony, any Graduand who is not appropriately dressed or who is not wearing the hood in the approved manner.
Graduation ceremonies will last approximately one and half hours and will take place in the Sir William Whitla Hall, Main Campus, Queen’s University Belfast.
- View the display board outside the side entrance of the Sir William Whitla Hall (between the Whitla and the South Dining Hall), for individual row and seat numbers. Enter the Whitla Hall through this entrance no less than 30 minutes before the start of the ceremony and take your allocated seat.
- Academic Procession including the Vice-Chancellor, Pro-Vice-Chancellors, Deans, Heads of School, Professors etc.
- Conferment of the Honorary Degree.
- Short address before the conferment of Degrees.
- Each row will be guided to line up at the side of the stage and each Graduand called up to shake hands with the Vice-Chancellor. If extra assistance is required to get access to the stage, please specify this on the Graduation Registration form or alert Student Registry (email@example.com, 02890 97 3223).
- On descending the stage, parchment is given and graduand returns to his/her seat.
There is a Garden Party after each Ceremony. The morning Ceremony at 10.30am will be followed by a Garden Party at 11.30am and the afternoon Ceremony at 2.30pm will be followed by a Garden Party at 3.30pm.
Featuring all the hallmarks of a great garden party there will be plenty of Prosecco and strawberries with cream, all accompanied by some live jazz music.
Each ticket provides entry to the garden party, a glass of Prosecco or tea/coffee per person, live entertainment and some nibbles. Graduating students receive a complimentary garden party ticket, plus an additional two tickets for their guests for the day of their graduation ceremony. Tickets will be checked upon entry, therefore should you require any additional tickets you can purchase them from Queen's Welcome Centre for £10. Graduands do not require a ticket for the Garden Party.
For queries regarding the purchase of additional Garden Party tickets please contact the Welcome Centre.
- Telephone: 028 9097 5252
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Graduates are advised to use the photographer in the Students' Union Building; for queries please contact;
Queen’s University Belfast Student’s Union
Tel: 028 9097 3726
For more information, please click here.
Ede & Ravenscroft: