On Your Graduation Day
Students (now Graduands!) taking part in the Graduation Ceremonies should observe the following conventions about dress.
- All Graduands must wear the gown and hood of the appropriate degree.
- Hoods should be worn in the way demonstrated by University staff on duty at the ceremony.
- Men may wear the front band of the hood under the tie or pinned not more than eight inches below the neck.
- Women may wear the front band at the neck or pinned not more than eight inches below the neck.
Instructions have been issued to University staff, not to admit to the ceremony, any Graduand who is not appropriately dressed or who is not wearing the hood in the approved manner.
Graduation ceremonies will last approximately one and half hours and will take place in the Sir William Whitla Hall, Main Campus, Queen’s University Belfast.
1. View the display board outside the side entrance of the Sir William Whitla Hall (between the Whitla and the South Dining Hall), for individual row and seat numbers. Enter the Whitla Hall through this entrance no less than 30 minutes before the start of the ceremony and take your allocated seat.
2. Academic Procession including the Vice-Chancellor, Pro-Vice-Chancellors, Deans, Heads of School, Professors etc.
3. Conferment of the Honorary Degree.
4. Short address before the conferment of Degrees.
5. Each row will be guided to line up at the side of the stage and each Graduand called up to shake hands with the Vice-Chancellor. If extra assistance is required to get access to the stage, please specify this on the Graduation Registration form or alert Student Registry (email@example.com, 02890 97 3223).
6. On descending the stage, parchment is given and graduand returns to his/her seat.
A Graduand does not require a ticket for the ceremony, but each Graduand and guest will require a ticket for the Garden Party/Reception which will be held in the Quadrangle, Main Campus of the University. In Winter this is held in a marquee.
|Summer Graduations:||Each afternoon from 3.30 pm - 5.00 pm. Evening Receptions from 8.00 pm - 9.00 pm for those graduating in the Evening Ceremonies (7.00 pm).|
Usually one after each ceremony (11.30 am, 3.30 pm and 8.00 pm). Please check your tickets for times.
Please note that there are no evening ceremonies during Winter 2014 Graduation, which means that there will be no 8.00 pm Garden Parties/Receptions.
Graduates are strongly advised to use the photographer in the Students' Union Building.