What is it all about?
The Graduate School has funding available throughout the year to assist current postgraduate students in organising academic events and cultural interventions, which work to bring together the wider communities within both Postgraduate Taught and Research student bodies at Queen's University.
This funding is allocated for initiatives developed and delivered by postgraduate students to help enrich the experience of the wider postgraduate community. The programme supports in skills development such as leadership, effective communication and project management by providing students with the opportunity to manage events and budgets through first-hand experience.
Who can Apply?
Postgraduate students can apply for Postgraduate-Led Initiative funding all year round.
What can you Apply for for?
- Research forums
- Networking events
- Social events
- Career planning initiatives
- Roundtable talks between research students and professionals/experts in their field
- Specialist training involving internal or external training facilitators
- Events which build relationships between postgraduate students
- Organisation of a conference or seminar
See sample activities below for more examples.
How to Apply?
To apply for funding, students must complete an application form outlining the purpose and scope of the initiative and the funding required.
The submission must be endorsed by your Head of School.
A Postgraduate-Led Initiatives application form and guidance notes can be downloaded here.
Postgraduate-Led Initiative Guidelines
- Only activities aimed at and relevant to Postgraduate Students will be considered for funding
- Funding for hospitality is restricted to a maximum of £100 per day. Maximum of £200 given
- Funding for conference support is restricted to £1000 for a one-day conference
- Your application must be approved by your Head of School/PG Co-ordinator
- The University premises should be used for all events
- The Graduate School branding will be supplied if you are successful
- There is a £2k budget per School
- Successful applicants must submit a short evaluation report after the initiative has taken place
- Receipts for all monies outlaid on the initiative must be submitted to The Graduate School
Full guidelines can be found on the Postgraduate-Led Initiative Application Form here.
If you have any further queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
My most memorable experience as a Postgraduate student to date
"Having secured funding, I organised an inter-disciplinary symposium which reflected on the societal impact of compassion advocacy. The opportunity to develop collaborative relationships with academics from Queen's and beyond was invaluable. It's improved my ability to work in a constructive manner and strengthened my organisational skills."
Final year PhD, Institute of Theology