Skip to main content

Accommodation for International Students

International students are given priority for a place in University accommodation for at least their first year at Queen’s. The Elms Student Village and other student houses are located within easy walking distance of the University in a pleasant residential area.

Information about student accommodation at Queen's and how to apply is available at The Accommodation website is designed to guide you through your options for living in Belfast when at Queen's and to make sure you know what you need to do in order to arrange your accommodation. You should apply online for your accommodation online at

All rooms are single study bedrooms and self-catered, which means that students share kitchen facilities and make their own meals. Rooms are either ensuite (with a private shower room) or standard (with a washbasin and students share bathroom facilities).  Read more

From experience, we know that some students have more specific requirements and therefore we have limited rooms in our accommodation, which offer a choice of three lifestyle options:

  • Single Sex Accommodation - living with either only male or only female students on the same floor or house.
  • No Alcohol Accommodation - alcohol cannot be consumed by you or your guests anywhere in the house, floor or apartment.
  • Quiet Living Accommodation - living with other students who prefer a quieter, more study-focused environment.

There is live-in support from our team of Community Youth Workers and Residential Assistants, whose role it is to help students deal with transition issues such as settling in, making friends, managing money and sharing communal living space. University is about more than academic achievement. It offers wonderful opportunities to make new friends, meet new challenges and become involved in new activities.

Accommodation for married students

Married international students are advised that it is difficult to obtain suitable accommodation at short notice. Students who propose to bring their family are strongly advised to come alone in the first instance in order to find suitable accommodation. If this is not possible, they should let the Student Accommodation Office know at the earliest possible moment after being informed that they have been accepted by the University.

Contact us

Queen’s accommodation team has a dedicated helpline to assist international students with their application for accommodation and offer advice on their choice of accommodation. Many students have questions while making these important decisions and our international student help-line will make the process easier to complete. The helpline's email address is

Living in the private sector

If you have applied for a place in Queen's accommodation, met all the deadlines and criteria, but we are unable to offer you a room, you will need to look for a place to live in the private sector. The Students' Union and the University recommend that students seek private sector accommodation through 'SU Lets', the letting agency in the Students' Union.

SU Lets is the ethical lettings agency, which the Students' Union runs in association with local estate agent Morton Pinpoint, that provides high quality accommodation from good landlords. It is the only place that the Students' Union and the University recommend to students for housing in the private rental sector.

The properties on offer have to meet a high-quality 'Accommodation Code' decided by the Union, simple and fair tenancy agreements are provided and deposits are protected.

More information is available from SU Lets.