Skip to main content

Visas, Immigration and Employment

Immigration Procedures


Points Based System (PBS) Tier 4 (General) Student Visa

The Points Based System (PBS) is the visa route for the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) immigration rules.  Under PBS, international students who wish to enter the UK must apply under Tier 4 (General) Student Visa.    

The leaflet – ‘Studying at Queen’s:  Visas and the Points Based System’ outlines the procedures in more detail.  However, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact International Student Support –
These immigration rules are subject to change and it is your responsibility to check the UK Visas and Immigration website:
As a Tier 4 (General) student visa applicant and visa holder, it is your responsibility to be aware of, and comply, with the requirements of your visa. When you apply for a Tier 4 visa you must include a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number.  The University will assign your CAS number through the UKVI system.
The CAS number will be included in a letter called a ‘CAS Statement’ which will be sent to you by the Admissions and Access Service, no earlier than 6 months before the course start date.  This will have important information that you need for your visa application.  Before the CAS can be issued, you must provide details of any previous study in the UK, along with scanned copies of your passport and previous immigration stamps/permissions.

Important note: A CAS Statement (including a CAS number) will only be sent to those applicants who have firmly accepted an unconditional offer of a place. Please read 'How do I obtain my CAS'.
Check your CAS statement carefully when you receive it. If you notice any errors with any element of your CAS statement, please inform the Admissions and Access Service as soon as possible. This includes errors with course start and end dates, course titles, level of the course and tuition fees.
Applicants for postgraduate taught programmes must pay a tuition fee deposit (link to fees and funding) before a CAS can be issued.

Note – you will be required to bring your (original) passport and visa to International Student Support at Queen’s when you arrive for a Right to Study check before you can complete your enrolment.  A photocopy of these documents will be taken at this point.



Term dates