Practical hints and tips for students
Some practical hints and tips
Landlords and tenancy agreements
- Make sure you read your tenancy agreement carefully and know what you have signed up to.
- When you move in check the inventory for the property or make one if there isn't one. If anything is missing tell your landlord.
- Make sure you know who to contact in the event of problems.
- Check whether you need one or more TV licences. This will be depend on the number of TVs you have and the type of tenancy agreement.
- Information is available from www.licensing.co.uk
- Make sure whether these are included in your rent or payable separately.
- If you are responsible set up accounts with the supplier as soon as you move in (consider gas, electricity, water, telephone/broadband, digital TV).
- Take meter readings where you can.
Recycling and Rubbish
- Belfast City Council operates a recycling scheme. How this operates and the collection days depends on where you live.
- Find out more information by phoning by visiting: http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/streetcleaning/index.asp or you could ask your neighbours.
- Please note: If you move into a property where rubbish has been left by previous tenants contact your landlord to discuss its removal otherwise you will become responsible for it.
- Protect your phone, photos, identity and information - Phone Smart
- Ensure that your home and all your property are well secured at all times.
- Contact your landlord if you feel security arrangements are inadequate.
- You can get property marked by the Police. Representatives will be at the Freshers' Bazaar on campus.