|External duties for other organisations:
Editorial Board, Open Infectious Diseases Journal, Open Respiratory Medicine Journal, Scientific World Journal, World Journal of Biological Chemistry
Ad Hoc Reviewer for Journal of Immunology, European Respiratory Journal, Thorax, American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, European Respiratory Jurnal
Grant Reviews - MRC, British Cystic Fibrosis Trust, HRB, University of Birmingham, British Lung Foundation, Wellcome Trust, INSERM, MRCG-HRB
CONFERENCE ORGANISATION AND ORAL PRESENTATION
1. International Congress Programme Committee (ICPC) of the European Respiratory Society Annual Congress. Organisation of ERS Annual Congress, Amsterdam, September 2015 - 2 Oral Sessions, 2 Poster Discussion Sessions, 5 Thematic Poster Sessions. Chair of 2 sessions
2. European Respiratory Society Research Seminar, Organiser and Chair, Amsterdam, November 2015, ‘Proteases at the cutting edge: friends or foes in chronic lung diseases?
3. Symposium Organiser, European Respiratory Society, Barcelona, September 2013, 'Nanoparticle Drug Delivery to the Lung'
4. Symposium organiser and Chair, European Cystic Fibrosis Society Meeting, Dublin June 2012
5. Symposium Organiser, European Respiratory Society, Amsterdam, September 2011, 'miRNA and Lung inflammation'
6. European Cystic Fibrosis Society Meeting, Hamburg June 2011 – Organised and chaired 1 Symposium and speaker
7. Symposium organiser and Chair, Biochemical Society Focussed Meeting, Cambridge, April 2011
8. Chair (2 symposia), European Cystic Fibrosis Society Meeting Valencia June 2010
9. Organiser and Chair, DEL Cross Border Symposium, June 2010
10. Organiser and Chair, Ulster Immunology Group/Irish Society for Immunology Meeting, Belfast Sept 2010
11. Symposium Organiser, European Respiratory Society, Vienna September 2009 'miRNA and Lung inflammation'
12. Symposium Organiser, Ulster Immunology Group June 2009 'Inflammation - from Cell to Clinic'
13. Symposium Organiser, European Respiratory Society, Berlin, September 2008 'Epigenetics and Lung Disease'
14. Symposium Organiser, European Respiratory Society Meeting, Berlin 2008 'miRNA and lung inflammation'
Keynote Speaker and Invited Talks
1. Translational Lung Research Center Heidelberg (TLRC), Germany, Seminar Series, December 2015 ‘Cathepsin S in Cystic Fibrosis Lung Disease’.
2. UK Cystic Fibrosis meeting, Manchester, September 2015, ‘Examining approaches to prevent lung damage’
3. European Cystic Fibrosis Society Basic Science Meeting, Albufeira, Portugal, April 2015 – ‘A role for Cathepsin S in the Cystic Fibrosis Lung'
4. Alpha 1 Antitrypsin Deficiency Symposium, Miami, Oct 2014 ‘A role for Alpha 1 antitrypsin in monocyte apoptosis’.
5. European Cystic Fibrosis Society Meeting, Lisbon, June 2013 – ‘Altered Epithelial Immunity in Cystic Fibrosis
6. British Thoracic Society, London, December 2012, ‘Proteasome and Acute Lung Injury’
7. European Respiratory Society Meeting, Vienna, September 2012 ‘Decreased levels of elafin in the lungs of patients with acute lung injury as a result of proteolytic cleavage by the proteasome'
8. European Cystic Fibrosis Society Meeting, Dublin June 2012 – ‘Overview of Cystic Fibrosis Lung Innate Immunity’
9. Alpha 1 Antitrypsin Deficiency Symposium, Miami, Oct 2011 ‘The Role of SLPI in AAT Deficiency’
10. European Cystic Fibrosis Society Meeting, Hamburg, June 2011 – ‘Proteases and Lung Innate Immunity in Cystic Fibrosis’
11. Biochemical Society Meeting, Cambridge, April 2011, WFDC Meeting 'Characterisation of the Anti-Inflammatory Activity of Secretory Leucoprotease Inhibitor and Elafin'
12. Japanese Respiratory Society, June 2009, ‘Proteases and Lung Innate Immunity’
13. European Respiratory Society Meeting, Berlin, September 2008 ‘The role of SLPI in the regulation of MMPs in chronic lung disease’ Romain Pauwels Award Seminar
14. British Society for Oral and Maxilliofacial Pathology, Belfast, May 2008 ‘Antimicrobial Peptides of the Respiratory Tract
15. Ulster Immunology Group, Belfast, April 2007 ‘Host Defense Peptides of the Respiratory Tract’
16. 7th World Congress on Trauma, Shock, Inflammation and Sepsis, Munich, March 2007
17. Biochemical Society Focussed Meeting, London, October 2006 - Resolution of inflammatory responses: signalling networks and novel therapeutic strategies 'Characterisation of the Anti-Inflammatory Activity of Secretory Leucoprotease Inhibitor'
18. European Respiratory Society Meeting, Munich, Germany, September 2006 ‘Proteases as regulators of airway inflammation and of its resolution’
19. British Association for Lung Research Meeting, Sheffield, July 2006 ‘Novel host defence functions of SLPI and elafin’
20. Irish Thoracic Society Meeting, Galway, Nov 2005 ‘Increased protease burden in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease is mediated by a Th1 response’
21. British Society For Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Loughborough, July 2005 ‘Role of Defensins in the Pathogenesis of Pulmonary Infection in Cystic Fibrosis’
22. Queen’s University Belfast, Cancer and Cell Biology Research Seminar Series, January 2005 ‘Characterisation of secretory leucoprotease inhibitor anti-inflammatory activity’
23. University of Sheffield, Division of Genomic Medicine Lecture Series, October 2004 'Characterisation of Secretory Leucoprotease Inhibitor (SLPI) activity - Implications for Lung Disease'
24. Dublin Molecular Medicine Centre Symposium on Inflammation, Conway Institute, University College Dublin, April 2004 ‘The Immunomodulatory Role of Secretory Leucoprotease Inhibitor’
25. HEA (Higher Education Authority) Symposium, Trinity College Dublin, May 2002 ‘Oxidative Inactivation of M and Z variant of Alpha One Antitrypsin’
26. HEA (Higher Education Authority) Symposium, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Feb 2001 ‘Control of Elastase Secretion from CF Neutrophils’
27. American Thoracic Society, Toronto, Canada, May 2000 'The Role of Methionine 351 and Methionine 358 in the Oxidative Inactivation of Alpha 1 Antitrypsin'
28. Irish Thoracic Meeting, Belfast, November 1999 'The Role of Methionine 351 and Methionine 358 in the Oxidative Inactivation of Alpha 1 Antitrypsin'
29. North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference, Montreal, Canada, October 1998 'Increased Release Of Elastase From Neutrophils Incubated With Cystic Fibrosis Epithelial Lining Fluid (ELF)'.
30. American Thoracic Society, San Francisco, CA, USA, May 1997 ‘Increased Alpha 1-Antitrypsin on the Respiratory Epithelial Surface of Ventilated Pre-Term Neonates Helps Protect Against Proteolytic Damage'.