Dr Ephraim Nimni
tel: ++44 (0) 28 9097 3625
fax: ++44 (0) 28 9097 5373
Ikebasque Visiting Professor, University of the Basque Country, 2013-14
Comparative ethnic conflict, Theories of ethnicity and nationalism, national cultural autonomy and minority rights, extra-territorial self-determination, Multiculturalism, The Israeli Palestinian Conflict.
My research interests follow two interrelated directions. I study comparative ethnic conflicts, theories of nationalism and minority rights, models of national self-determination that do not require separate nation states, multiculturalism and the applicability of the national cultural autonomy model to contemporary multination states. The second direction is the study of the Israeli Palestinian conflict from the perspective of conflict resolution. I am a member of the board of the journal Nations and Nationalism and Politikon.
Democratic theory, Postructuralism, theories of ethnicity and nationalism, ethnic minorities, multiculturalism, Zionism and post Zionism, Islamic minorities in Europe, the Israeli Palestinian Conflict, National Cultural Autonomy, extra-territorial self-determination and new modalities of ethnic conflict resolution.
- “The Conceptual Challenge of Non-Territorial Autonomy”, in Nimni, E., Osipov, A. & Smith, D. J. (eds.), The Challenge of Non-Territorial Autonomy Theory and Practice, in Peter Lang, p. 1-24. (Series Nationalisms across the Globe), August 2013
- “Democratic Theory and the Autonomy of Non Christian Religious Courts in the UK”, Chapter 10 of Johan Leman (ed.) New Multicultural Identities in Europe, Religion and Ethnicity in Secular Societies, Leuven University Press, December 2013
- “Empowering Minority Communities while Not Dismembering States”, in S Kavak and S Garner (eds.), Debating Multiculturalism, London, Dialogue Society, p. 41-56 2012
- Cultural Minority Self Governance, in Marc Weller and Katherine Nobbs (eds.), Political Participation of Minorities: A Commentary on International Standards and Practice, Oxford University Press, 2010
- Feature Article: Nationalism, Ethnicity and Self-Determination: A Paradigm Shift?, Studies in Ethnicity and Nationalism, Blackwell, October 2009, pp. 1-14. To be also published in: Keith Breen and Shane O’Neill (eds.), After the Nation? Critical Reflections on Post-Nationalism, Palgrave MacMillan 2010
- Stateless Nations in a World of Nation States, in Karl Cordell and Stefan Wolff (eds.) The Routledge Handbook of Ethnic Conflict, Routledge, London, 2010
- Collective Dimensions of the Right to take Part in Cultural Life, United Nations Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (eds), Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), UN Publications, E/C.12/40/17, Geneva, May 2008. http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/cescr/docs/discussion/EphraimNimni.pdf
- Multicultural Nationalism, London, Routledge, 2010
- National Cultural Autonomy as an Alternative to Minority Nationalism, in Ethnopolitics, Vol. 3 No.3, pp. 345-365, September 2007 also published in David Smith and Karl Cordell (eds.) Cultural Autonomy in Contemporary Europe, Routledge, London, 2008 pp. 9-28
- Constitutional or Agonist Patriotism? the Dilemmas of Liberal Nation-states, in Per Mouritsen & Knud Erik Jørgensen (eds.) Constituting Communities, Political Solutions to Cultural Conflict , Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke, 2008 pp. 94-116, February 2008
- National Cultural Autonomy as an Alternative to Minority Nationalis m, in Ethnopolitics, Vol. 3 No.3, pp. 345-365, September 2007
- National-Cultural Autonomy and its Contemporary Critics (Routledge, London Series Innovations in Political Theory, 2005), pp. 240.
- “Wada'an to a Jewish Palestinian, appreciation of Edward Said”, Theory & Event, 7:2 (2003): pp. 1-14.
- “Post Zionism,” Borderlands e-journal, 2:3 (2003)
- The Challenge of Post-Zionism (London: Zed Press, 2003), Series Post-Colonial Encounters Arabic translation by Ahmad Thabt, Tahadiat Ma Baad Al- Sahyonia, with an introduction by Mohammad Hashim, Cairo 2005
- "National Autonomy" in A. D. Smith and A. Leoussi (eds.) Encyclopaedia of Nationalism, (New Jersey: Transaction Publishers, 2001), pp. 203-209. Volume editor of the first English translation of Otto Bauer, The Question of Nationalities and Social Democracy (Nationalitätenfrage und die Sozialdemokratie) (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2001), pp. xlviii + 494
- "Introduction to the English Reading Audience," in Otto Bauer, The Question of Nationalities and Social Democracy (Nationalitätenfrage und die Sozialdemokratie) (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2001), pp. xv-xlviii
- "Nationalist Multiculturalism in Late Imperial Austria as a Critique of Contemporary Liberalism: The Case of Bauer and Renner," Journal of Political Ideologies, vol. 4 (1999), pp. 289-314