School of Planning, Architecture and Civil Engineering
Environmental Tracers Lab.
The Environmental Tracers Laboratory (ETL) continues to promote and develop applications for environmentally-friendly and intelligent tracing of environmental and engineering systems, including reaeration work (on the back of 2007 Winner, Outstanding Paper Award, Water & Environment Journal) but particularly for risk-based assessment of water resources supporting integrated and sustainable management. Current ETL facilities include:
· Gas-Chromatograph-Mass Spectrometer (GC-MS) x2.
- a ThermoQuest Voyager (GC 8000 Top series with Voyager quadrupole MS detector) has a 30m PLOT 5A molecular sieve GC column and sub-ambient column temperature control particularly for the analyses down to trace environmental levels of volatile compounds eg noble gases (Ar, Kr, Xe), chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs or freons), and sulfur hexafluoride (SF6);
- The second instrument is a bespoke GC-MS system from MSS (HP 5890 Series II GC + bespoke quadrupole MSD).
· Perkin-Elmer Sigma 3 GC with a thermal conductivity detector (GC-TCD)
- equipped with CTR-III column for the analysis of major and minor levels of “permanent” gases (eg N2, Ar, O2, CO2);
· Hewlett-Packard 5890 Series II Gas Chromatographs (GC) x2
- equipped, respectively, with a flame ionisation detector (GC-FID) and an Electron Capture Detector (GC-ECD) for trace volatile organic compound (VOC) abundance analyses, including CFC’s and SF6;
· Perkin-Elmer Wallac Quantulus Ô 1220 advanced, low-level Liquid Scintillation Counter x2.
- these facilities provide for low-level, natural abundance LSC analytical facilities for both a - and b -emitters (eg 222Rn, 3H, 14C);
· LKB Wallac Model 1217 RackBeta LSC
- for higher b -activity 3H and 14C radiometric analyses (eg. for landfill leachate monitoring);
· Pylon Electronics AB-5 (portable a-scintillometer with Lucas scintillation cell)
- for eg 222Rn activity determinations in the field;
· GGUN-FLO2 Schnegg fluorimeter
- for field flowthrough and laboratory benchtop analyses of applied dissolved Rhodamine and Uranine fluorescent organo-dyes.
Trevor Elliot - Environmental & Intelligent Tracers; Geohydrology; Isotope Hydrology.