Aims & Objectives
The aim of the N. Ireland Cancer Registry is to provide accurate, timely information on cancers occuring in the population of Northern Ireland for research, planning and education so that the burden of disease my be reduced and the experience of patients and their outcomes improved.
N. Ireland Cancer Registry Revised Objectives
The objectives of NICR are to:
- Collect and confidentially store accurate, timely and comprehensive data on cancers and pre-malignant disease occurring in the Northern Ireland population.
- Uphold patient and carer confidentiality.
- Analyse data to provide for the Registry’s role as provider of official cancer incidence, prevalence and survival statistics for Northern Ireland.
- Provide appropriate information on cancer for ad hoc queries.
- Undertake and assist audits of cancer treatments, services and outcomes, and recommend improvements in cancer services where appropriate.
- Facilitate planning of cancer services for prevention, diagnosis, cure and care.
- Promote, facilitate and undertake research into cancer causes, prevention, treatments and outcomes.
- Publish scientific reports and papers relating to cancer.
- Promote professional and public awareness about cancer.
- Link nationally and internationally to promote cancer registration and increase understanding and control of cancer.
Revised March 2013