Skip to main content


Student Counselling Service

The Student Counselling service operates on the top floor of the Student Guidance Centre providing a friendly and professional service which is freely available to students.  It is staffed by qualified and experienced counsellors and exists to provide students with help and support outside of their own circle of acquaintances.  It is available to any Queen’s or Stranmillis students from first years to postgraduates.

During the initial session it is decided whether or not counselling can help and, if so, the terms on which counselling is being offered will be agreed with you. Sessions generally last for approximately fifty minutes.  If another form of help is thought to be more appropriate to particular situations, other options will be discussed.

As a professional service, the Student Counselling Service are organisational members of BACP (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy) and adhere to their Ethical Framework for Good Practice.  They are committed to offering a confidential service and very much aware of the need to ensure that any information given will not be passed on without permission.

We work with a wide range of issues, personal, academic and relationship.  Students often need someone to talk to during their time at University, so please feel very welcome to contact us, if we can be of any help (tel: 028 9027 2727).

Student's Union Advice Services

Based on the second floor in the Students’ Union building is the Student Advice Centre.  The three advisors in the Student Advice Centre offer impartial advice on a range of issues.

The Vice President Education, is available for informal consultation or advice on any matters relating to your academic progress at Queen’s. 

The Vice President Welfare, is available for advice on any welfare issue or problem.  The main area of work is with student accommodation, both private and University,  health and safety issues. 

The Student Financial Advisor, Connie Craig, is available for advice on any aspect of your finances.  Her main areas of work include loans, tuition fees, bursaries, Social Security Benefits and University Discretionary Funding eg Hardship Loans and Support Funds.