"Planning considers better ways of living and places within regions, towns and neighbourhoods. We focus on issues relating to economy, society and environment. The subject offers opportunities to create positive change, to have a rewarding career and to become a professionaly qualified, Chartered Town Planner."

Dr Stephen McKay, Head of Discipline

Undergraduate degree courses in Planning



Every country, region and city faces major challenges – and planning is both strategic and critical in attracting investment, managing development, creating employment, protecting the environment, finding sustainable energy, providing housing, transport systems and local amenities. RTPI & RICS accredited. 5th in 2017 Guardian League Table.

Find out more

Undergraduate > MPLAN HONOURS


This MPlan is a unique degree, offering a complete four-year pathway in professional planning education, with a specialisation in European Planning. Innovative features include an emphasis on understanding European-wide planning issues, integrated language training and overseas study at a European university.

Discover more

Postgraduate taught degree courses in Planning

Postgraduate (Taught)


Designed to take graduates possessing a non-Planning first degree (entry requirement is 2.2 Honours degree) and prepare them for a professional career in Planning. This Masters degree is accredited by the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) and the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).

Find out more


The School warmly welcomes all enquiries regarding MPhil and PhD research in planning.  Please consult our staff pages to identify and contact a potential supervisor.

There are two possible routes to devising a suitable PhD / MPhil topic. The first is to construct a proposal in close consultation with a potential supervisor based in the School. The second is to apply for a staff-driven proposal.  The staff-driven projects will be advertised in October for a September 2017 start. The deadline for UK/EU applicants wishing to be considered for funding for a September 2016 start has now passed. Details of the deadline for a September 2017 start will be released in October. We are delighted to receive applications from international/non-EEA students at any time.  Funding opportunities and deadlines vary by country. Note that it is possible to apply for a place to study towards a PhD at any time. Part-time study is possible for self-funded students.


Doctorates are awarded for the creation and interpretation of knowledge through original research. This requires the ability to conceptualise, design and implement projects for the generation of significant new knowledge and understanding.

Entry to the PhD programme normally requires at least an upper second class honours degree (or equivalent) in an appropriate discipline.  The range of cognate disciplines is considerable given the strongly inter-disciplinary character of the School.  The programme runs for 3 year full-time or 6 years part-time.


An MPhil is similar to the PhD, but is undertaken over a shorter period of time. Entry to the MPhil programme normally requires at least an upper second class honours degree (or equivalent) in an appropriate discipline. The programme runs for 2 years full-time or 4 years part-time.


For a place to pursue PhD and MPhil postgraduate studies, we normally require an upper second class honours degree (or equivalent) as a minimum. Please note that there are differences between entrance requirements and requirements for funding, which are assessed separately.

The School is normally allocated a number of research studentships each year relevant to UK/EU applicants. These studentships are managed through School.

Applicants applying for a project orientated towards the humanities may also be eligible for a Northern Bridge (AHRC) studentship.

There is a residency requirement (UK, EU) for both funding schemes. Funding for non-EEA students varies by country. For details of international funding opportunities through Queen’s, please see here:  Applicants who are non-EEA nationals must satisfy the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) requirements for English language for visa purposes.


In the first instance, please contact a potential supervisor to discuss making an application.  For general inquiries please contact the Postgraduate Research Coordinator for Planning [or Architecture as relevant], Dr Shane Donohue (


Find out more

How to apply

How to apply