Queen's Management School (QMS) Gender Equality Initiative joins the efforts by the University’s Equality and Diversity Unit to ensure quality of opportunity and respect for diversity across the institution and its wider community. We are here to actively enhance gender equality at the Management School. Our work includes hosting and facilitating conversations on gender issues in academia, drawing attention to senior female role models, organising gender awareness activities, and ensuring our School processes actively promote gender equality to staff members and students.
This year the Management School is applying for a Bronze Athena SWAN charter mark. Bronze institution awards recognise that the institution has a solid foundation for eliminating gender bias and developing an inclusive culture that values all staff.
QUB is committed to the promotion of equality of opportunity and to creating and sustaining an environment that values and celebrates the diversity of its staff and student body. All policies are aimed to enable staff and students to meet their full potential and to be treated as individuals. A number of policies beyond meeting statutory requirements are also in place, whereby the School commits to being a leader in the industry. Application forms for Parental Leave, Paternity Leave, Flexible Working, Career Break, and Adoptive Leave can be found here alongside information on a healthy work life balance. Specifically to gender, the University is committed to its Trans Equality Policy and provides support for LGBT students.
Queen’s Gender Initiative
Queen’s Gender Initiative (QGI) has published a report on the success of the Mentoring Scheme offered across the University which has helped 238 women in progressing in their professional development in academia. See the Summary Report here.
Gender Equality Links
Links to relevant and useful websites and articles related to gender equality:
- Gender Portal EU (GenPORT is a community sourced internet portal for sharing knowledge and inspiring collaborative action on gender and science)
- Female Empowerment in Science and Technology Academia (FESTA is concerned with gender equality in academia, and a broader discussion on gender equality initiatives at the EU level)
- QUB Gender Initiative Forum articles (The Gender Initiative provides a channel for women’s views on priority issues for women to come to the fore)
- Times Higher Education (how to redress the gender imbalance)
- Gender and Education (Women, know your limits: cultural sexism in academia)
- Higher Education Authority Ireland (published report on gender and academic staff)
- Centre for Higher Education and Equity Research (CHEER aims to promote equity,inclusion and diversity in the global academy)
- Gender Equality (Setting Agendas on Gender Equality in the Higher Education Sector in Ireland)
Gender Equality Team
QMS created the Gender Equality Team (GET) to explore our gender balance, processes, practices and culture.