Further Study & Research
FURTHER STUDY AND RESEARCH
PUTTING KNOWLEDGE INTO PRACTICE
Students from the Sciences have a great opportunity to put their knowledge into practice and graduate into further study or a research programme.
Statistically students from the Sciences tend to be more likely to undertake further study. It is an important decision to take and should not be taken without due consideration. The following sites and information sources will help you with information on things to consider, funding, job prospects and the practicalities of continuing with your studies. Typically you will have three options.
- Taught programme linked to your area of study (MSc, PG Dip, MRes)
- Taught programme not linked to your course (Conversion course)
- Research degree (PhD)
Useful Sites Research
- Queen's Careers - further study
- Further Study options (Taught and Research)
- Conversion courses
- Postgraduate study in the USA
- Postgraduate Search
- Target Courses
- Applying to a PhD
- Study in the USA
- Find a PhD
- Find a Masters
- Further study globally
The School of Biological Sciences comprises two main research groups: Ecology, Evolution, Behaviour and Environmental Economics and Molecular Biosciences. In addition, the School houses the Institute for Global Food Security, the Gibson Institute and the Queen's University Marine Laboratory in Portaferry. Hence, the education and research programmes supported by the School are among the most diverse in the University, with emphasis on biosciences at molecular to ecosystem levels.
Profiles of Academic members of staff working within the School are available on the School site. Undergraduate and postgraduate students considering applying for Research positions in the School would be well advised to become familiar with the current research being undertaken in their area of interest.
- Should I do a PhD?
- Academic jobs in the UK
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
- Naturejobs blog
- Research Excellence Framework
- Knowledge Transfer Partnerships in the UK
- Medical Research Council (MRC)
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
- Queen’s KTP office
- Research Councils UK
- Vitae (Career development for researchers)
- Research funding in the US
- Researcher opportunities in Europe
- Writing a research proposal
- Research centres and funding in Ireland
- Irish Life Sciences Research guide
- European Council of Doctoral Candidates and Junior Researchers
- Graduate Research programmes
- Learned Societies to support your research within the Biosciences
- Research-Gate - Global community of research scientists
- Careers help for postgraduates and contract researchers
- Nature Research jobs
- New Scientist research jobs
- Life Science Research in Northern Ireland
- Research Jobs in the UK
- Manchester University – An Academic Career?
- Research and Postdoc jobs in Europe