Promoting equality in the sciences
The School has been awarded the prestigious Athena SWAN Gold award in recognition of its work to support women in science.
What is SWAN?
The Equality Challenge Unit's (ECU) Athena SWAN (Scientific Women's Academic Network) charter was established in 2005 to encourage and recognise commitment to advancing the careers of women in science, technology, engineering, maths and medicine (STEMM) employment in higher education and research. Queen's University Belfast, was a founder member of the Athena SWAN Charter.
In May 2015 the charter was expanded to recognise work undertaken in arts, humanities, social sciences, business and law (AHSSBL), and in professional and support roles, and for trans staff and students. The charter now recognises work undertaken to address gender equality more broadly, and not just barriers to progression that affect women.
The School of Biological Sciences is fully committed to the aims of this Charter.
MEET THE TEAM
SCHOOL SWAN COMMITTEE
ECU’s Athena SWAN Charter covers women (and men where appropriate)
ECU’s Athena SWAN Charter covers women (and men where appropriate) in:
- Academic roles in STEMM and AHSSBL
- Professional and support staff
- Trans staff and students
In relation to their:
- Progression of students into academia
- Journey through career milestones
- Working environment for all staff
The advancement of science, engineering and technology (SET) is fundamental to quality of life across the globe. We believe that it is vitally important that women are adequately represented in what has traditionally been, and is still, a male-dominated area. Moreover, science cannot reach its full potential unless it can benefit from the talents of the whole population
For further information, please visit Athena SWAN.
The School of Biologial Sciences' Self Assessment Team (SAT) members are:
- Prof Aaron Maule (Head of School)
- Mrs Jenny Willamson (School Manager)
- Dr Nessa O'Connor (Athena SWAN Champion, SAT Co-Chair)
- Dr Edel Hyland (Athena SWAN Champion, SAT Co-Chair)
- Dr Moira Dean
- Prof Andy Meharg
- Dr Brian Green
- Dr Katerina Theodoridou
- Dr Billy Hunter (Post Doctoral Representative)
- Ms Hannah Hoskins (Post Graduate Representative)
- Ms Jenna Shiels (Post Graduate Representative)
Other Useful Links:
SBS Blog (launched 2015)
For tips from QUB and other successful Athena SWAN awardees, please play the video shown above.