Applications to register for a research degree will be assessed by the School Postgraduate Committee. Decisions will be based on the following criteria.
1. Academic record and potential, as assessed from degree results, references, the quality of the research proposal, and if necessary a personal interview.
2. Applicants should normally have completed or be in the process of completing an MA in a relevant discipline.
3. Topic: The proposed topic should be worthwhile, in the sense of offering a significant contribution to existing knowledge and understanding, and be feasible, in that there should be adequate source material available and that it should be possible to complete the project within three full time or six years part time.
4. There should be a potential supervisor in the School available to supervise the project and who has agreed to do so.
5. The proposal should be compatible with the research interests of staff involved in supervision.
Applicants are very strongly recommended to communicate with the relevant Postgraduate Co-ordinator before submitting an application.