Below, you will find a list of the Exploring History 1 courses that are on offer in semester one, 2013-14. Because of the importance we attach to first-year teaching, each is taught by a leading specialist in the field.
Each student chooses one course in week 1 and then works with his or her tutor for the duration of the semester. The times of the lectures are given below. The tutorial times will be arranged following registration.
If you have any queries regarding the contents of a specific course, then please contact the relevant tutor directly (email addresses are available on the School website www.qub.ac.uk/schools/History/Staff/). All queries about enrolment should be directed to the course convenor, Dr Andrew Holmes firstname.lastname@example.org
1. ‘This Sewer of Romulus’: The Fall of the Roman Republic, 133-44 B.C. (Dr John Curran) Lectures Tues and Thurs at 11am
2. The Spanish Civil War, 1936-9 (Dr Danny Kowalsky) Lectures Weds 9-11am
3. The Death of Christian Britain, 1789-1914? (Dr Andrew Holmes) Lectures Tues 10am
4. Education and Learning in Early-Modern England (Dr Rei Kanemura) Lectures Fri 9am
5. Deviant Moments in Britain and Ireland, 1700-1900 (Dr Elaine Farrell) Lectures Mon 11am
6. The Soviet Union and the World, 1917-1991 (Dr Alex Titov) Lectures Weds 12 Noon
7. From Cradle to Grave: Poverty, Welfare and the State in Twentieth-century Britain (Dr Stuart Aveyard) Lectures Thurs 10am
8. War in History (Prof. Sean Connolly) Lectures Weds 12 Noon
9. Introducing Medieval Ireland (Dr Immo Warntjes) Lectures Tues 9am
Essay 40% - 1st draft – 10%, 2nd draft – 30%