Undergraduate Placement Year
Spend 12 months in industry
Amazing opportunity to gain real world engineering experience and improve your technical and professional skills
Students studying any course in the School have the opportunity to undertake 12 month's work experience between year 2 and final year of their degree.
- Placements are almost always paid between £12-£18K in NI and up to £22K in GB. The average salary this year is £14,385
- Details of the Fees for the placement year can be found here
- Placement preparation is delivered by collaboratively by the School Placement Officer and Careers in the form of 12 sessions in stage 2. Many guest speakers from industry are invited to deliver elements of this program
- Placement opportunities are advertised on the School SharePoint, the Careers Website, umbrella websites specifically advertising engineering or STEM placements (for instance Gradcracker) and if the closing date is imminent by email direct to the students
- All students are visited by a member of School staff during their placement whereby the employer provides feedback to the student and is invited to offer industry intelligence about up and coming trends in the sector
Applying for the Undergraduate Placement Programme
Prosepective students can apply for the sandwich version of all degree programmes offered by the school (see below), whilsts also having the opportunity to transfer on, or off, the placement programme during their programme of study.
"Placement has been invaluable to help me figure out what I want in my career. Now I can go back to my studies being more employable, having more skills and having had an amazing life experience. Not to mention how much fun it all was!! "Dean Ellison
MEng Aerospace Engineering
Bombardier Aerospace, Canada
Summer Work Experience
Spend your summer in industry
Students from any year on any course are able to find a summer work experience anywhere in the world. Available summer internship opportunities can be found via the university’s vacancy advertising site My Future
Be more employable
100% of placement students in the School get offered graduate jobs!!
"My placement was by far the best thing I have EVER done. I got to experience a lot more than I could have imagined. Placement year will provide you with the building blocks for the future. At graduate job interviews you can talk about actual engineering experience."Julie Coulter
MEng Mechanical Engineering
Red Bull technology, UK
Where do our placement students go?
AN opportunity to see the world
Placements can be taken anywhere in the world, however each year approximately 68% are based in NI, 26% in GB, and the remaining 6% are across Europe and further afield.
For more information please contact the School Employability and Placements Officer on the details below;
Tel: +44 (0) 2890 974 274