School of Pharmacy
Welcome to the School of Pharmacy Green Impact page. Please read below for advice on how staff and students can contribute to reducing the School’s carbon impact.
The following facilities are available:
- Books: Point in the purchasing office
- Cardboard: Flatpack and take to point in the purchasing office
- CDs: Point in the purchasing office
- Clothes: Point in the purchasing office
- Paper: White recycling bags can be obtained from the School Office
- Plastic e.g. milk bottles: Kitchens and outside the lecture theatre
- Cans: Kitchens and outside the lecture theatre
- Batteries: Point in the purchasing office
- Printer Cartridges/toner: Point in School print room
- Noticeboard: A noticeboard highlighting environmental issues is located on the second floor of the original building and in M105 in the McClay building.
Details of further recycling facilities will be added to this page once they become available. Further information can be found in the A-Z Guide to Waste and Recycling
• Academic staff should add student resources to Queen's Online rather than hand out photocopies where appropriate.
• Tap water should be made available for meetings, vivas, etc. rather than bottled water.
• Where possible bring in a mug for tea/coffee rather than use disposable cups.
• If you are ordering catering from internal or external suppliers, please ask them to ensure that, as far as possible, they are using locally produced, seasonal food. This limits the air miles associated with food brought in unnecessarily from other countries.
The Cycle+ scheme allows staff to purchase a bicycle and safety equipment, and receive National Insurance and Income Tax discounts through a salary sacrifice scheme. Further information is available at www.qub.ac.uk/cycleplus
Details of the nearest cycle storage are available at the university Cycle Plus site.
The nearest shower and changing facilities are available, free of charge to staff in the Whitla Medical building. The form to request access can be found here.
The cycle mileage allowance for travelling by bicycle on University business is 10p per mile Information on the University's car-sharing scheme can be viewed at www.qubcarshare.com or perhaps you could arrange to travel with a colleague if you’re both going to the same area for meetings, placement visits, fieldwork interviews, etc.
The University has an interest-free loan scheme for staff to buy bus or rail passes. See http://go.qub.ac.uk/stafftravelcard.
The School has a switch-off plan which involves a light, power and heat check.
Please switch off lights if you are last to leave a room, turn off appliances at the socket at the end of the working day and turn off any printers, chargers, etc during the day if they are not in use.
The university has teleconference and video-conference facilities that can be used as an alternative to travelling to meetings. For more information click here.
If you know of a problem with heating, draughts, or a dripping tap etc. please report it promptly to David McQuade.