Dr Elodie Fabre
Lecturer in Politics and International Studies
PhD KU Leuven
+44 28 90971366
My general teaching areas are British and comparative European politics; parties and party systems; electoral competition and voting; and territorial politics.
I convene ‘Representative Government and Public Opinion in Europe’ (MA module) and ‘Britain and Ireland in Comparative Perspective’ (1st year module).
I am interested in how political parties and voters adapt to new situations, in particular how parties and voters have responded to devolution in the UK. I have conducted research on party organisational changes in Spain and Britain, investigating the relationship between the central level of the statewide parties and their ‘regional’ branches. This research produced a coding scheme designed to measure the level of autonomy of regional party branches and the level of integration of territorial interests in central decision-making. The comparison between British and Spanish parties has demonstrated the importance of party leaders’ agency and incumbency status as factors influencing the level of autonomy of party branches. I am increasingly interested in the issue of citizens’ response to devolution and the questions of citizens’ understanding of devolution and democratic accountability.
- Fabre, Elodie and Wilfried Swenden (forthcoming) ‘Territorial Politics and the Multi-level Party’, Regional Studies http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00343404.2012.733073
- Fabre, Elodie (2011) ‘Measuring Party Organization: the Vertical Dimension of the Multilevel Organization of Statewide Parties in Spain and the UK’, Party Politics 17(3): 343-63.
- Fabre, Elodie (2010) ‘Multilevel Election Timing – A Comparative Overview’, Regional and Federal Studies 20(2): 177-98.
- Libbrecht, Liselotte, Bart Maddens, Wilfried Swenden and Elodie Fabre (2009) ‘Issue Salience in Regional Party Manifestos in Spain’, European Journal of Political Research 48(1): 58-79.
- Fabre, Elodie (2009) ‘Les Partis Nationaux et Non Nationaux au Royaume Uni’, in Jean-Benoit Pilet, Jean-Michel Dewaele and Serge Jaumain (eds) L’absence de partis nationaux : Menace ou opportunité ? (Bruxelles: Editions de l’Université de Bruxelles), pp.75-95.
- Fabre, Elodie and Mónica Méndez-Lago (2009) ‘Devolution and Organizational Change in Political Parties: the British and Spanish State-wide Parties Compared’, in Bart Maddens and Wilfried Swenden (eds) Territorial Party Politics in Western Europe (Basingstoke: Palgrave), pp.102-118.
- Fabre, Elodie and Enric Martínez Herrera (2009) ‘State-wide Parties and Regional Party Competition. An Analysis of Party Manifestos in the UK’, in Bart Maddens and Wilfried Swenden (eds) Territorial Party Politics in Western Europe (Basingstoke: Palgrave), pp.229-248.
- Fabre, Elodie (2008) ‘Party Organisation in a Multi-level System: Party Organisational Change in Spain and the UK’, Regional and Federal Studies 18(4): 309-29.
- Pogorelis, Robertas, Bart Maddens, Wilfried Swenden and Elodie Fabre (2005) ‘Issue Salience in Regional and National Party Manifestoes in the UK’, West European Politics 28(5): 992-1014.